water pump check 1986 volvo penta

vaguirrebica

Recruit
hi guys i'm new boat owner . my question is why droping propeller on to a large bucket ,is not the same when on lake.when in bucket temp gage passes 180 deg. i didnt want to see how hot it can get . i didnt noticed any water suction at earmuff water in let nor did i see any water spitting out. but when at lake engine runs cool ,temp gage drops is this normal?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: water pump check 1986 volvo penta

Howdy,

Welcome aboard!

Your question might be better in the Volvo Penta area. This is the OMC forum.

Regards,

Rick

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The water level in the bucket needs to be over the water intake ports on lower unit. If not, it will suck air.
Or, the impeller was defective, it is now after running dry for a while since you got to 180?
Could also be an air leak in your system up to the raw water pump.

Without knowing what engine and drive you have, it's hard to say for sure.

vaguirrebica

Recruit

thanks for the responce water level is couple inches above lower water intake ports. i think engine is 305 chevy and 280 penta drive.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

At this point, your impeller is shot, that has to be fixed. Look at the hose connection on the outdrive.
I'm referring to the connector where the water hose that goes from the transom shield to the drive. The fitting on the drive corrodes away under the hose and allows the pump to suck air. Remove the hose and inspect the connector for corrosion.

Here is a picture captmellow posted of his along side a new one.

waterintakefitting-1.jpg

vaguirrebica

Recruit

i check for corrosion and it looks like the new one on captmellow pic. is there any other water intake port other than the lower ones ,where water earmuffs clamp on? like i said when i drop it down on lake it doesnt overheat..where can i find repair manuel.what does the impeller looks like ? i think there's a spare one in boats clove box