1990 Volvo outdrive - no power under load

regal_bill

Cadet
Long history. 1990 Regal aft cabin, Volvo outdrive, GM 5.7, unknown hours. I've put ~250 on in the last 8 years, and I don't think it was used heavily before I bought it.

Been having many problems last two seasons on the water. Predominant symptom was lack of any power under load - idle and revving always seemed fine, but at full throttle, trying to get to plane, the engine would just bog down, occasionally stall. Sometimes it would be running fine, then with no change in throttle or anything just fall off plane and putt along, then (again no change in throttle) pick back up.

Found that the plugs were getting fouled - replace the plugs, it runs okay for a few hours, then plugs are fouled again and no power under load. The shop tried rebuilding the carb, then replacing it. Still same issues, and now the fuel consumption is huge. Tested fuel pump, ignition, etc. - all okay. Shop ran compression and leak down tests, said the compression looked great but the leakdown indicated the heads needed to be resurfaced. Did that, same issues. Everyone is assuming it's the new carb adjustment, that it's just running way too rich and fouling the plugs, so we keep leaning that down - way down past Holley spec. Still same issues. Finally Holley tech support mentions the master control valve on the carb has to match the engine vacuum - which it didn't. Valve was too big for the vacuum. So replaced the control valve with a smaller one, fiddled with the jets per Holley spec - same issues. After the last outing, 2-3 plugs looked fouled to me. Shop does another compression test, says that 2 or 3 of the even cylinders are low, and vacuum is fluxuating. They say that there is something wrong with the lower engine (keep mentioning rings) and say that my options are to send the engine to the machine shop for a rebuild or buy a new long block.

Do you agree with the diagnosis? Could it be anything else? I'm assuming that the valves get gone through when the heads are done, and the head gasket is good since it has only been on for under 75 hours. Are those assumptions sound?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1990 Volvo outdrive - no power under load

If you have compression issues, it would probably be a good idea to do a leakdown test to pin point where the problem is.

Maclin

Admiral

Did they do a compression check?

regal_bill

Cadet

The latest compression test was what prompted the "lower engine" diagnosis. I will ask about another leak down test.

Maclin

Admiral

I missed the compression test in your first post :redface:, you are on the right track with the leakdown test.

regal_bill

Cadet

They didn't do a leakdown test. The theory is that, since the heads and valves have just been gone through by the machine shop, if the leakdown points to the heads/valves it is just a symptom, not the problem. The compression was fine not too long ago (spring, maybe last fall - no more than 60 hours). If the leakdown points to the rings, I'm at a rebuild anyways. If it points to head/valves, am I stupid to have them gone through AGAIN and hope that everything goes away?