Volvo Penta throttle trim question/problem

win-or-bin

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,
First post:D, but learnt loads from the site already, I currently have a 21" Cranchi Start with a 4.3l (434) v6 with a volvo DP-C1 drive. I have bought the boat as a winter project as it has quite a bit needing done so I am starting with getting it running right then moving onto cosmetics. Currently the trim on the throttle lever only moves the drive down and not up, when I toggle to the up position nothing happens, I cant hear the relay clicking either. I have looked at the throttle (same as pic below)and cant see an obvious way to dismantle it to check the switch in the handle- anyone know how or what is probably wrong with it. I am sure it is something simple but struggling for time at the moment and I know there is people with a lot of experience on here.
Thanks
Seumus

Attachments

• $(KGrHqN,!ikE2LkYsvkOBNr6-zmmfg~~_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqN,!ikE2LkYsvkOBNr6-zmmfg~~_12.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 2

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta throttle trim question/problem

I think that control has a switch on both sides of the handle. The outside switch (closest to the driver) is for the trim position, inside switch (closest to the side of the boat) is an over ride. Squeeze the two up buttons at the same time for tilt up above the trim position.
That inside button is the trim limit over ride and closes a relay usually found under the helm.

win-or-bin

Seaman Apprentice

HI Don, Thanks for the reply, checked my throttle and it just has the trim switch on the drivers side, will have a look in more detail at the throttle and wiring at the end of the week, I would just find it strange that if the micro switch in the handle went pop you would have to buy a new handle ($$$) I realise it is prob a relay or something though
Thanks again

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

First, verify that it is really the switch that is bad. There is normally a set of spade connectors on the backside of the mounting plate for the shift lever, and that is where the wires to the instrument and then harness are connected to. If you can find them, you can via a multimeter (or a light bulb) verify whether the switch is really working or not. If it is working, you most likely have a bad connection somewhere (slight corrosion can do "wonders"). Try unplugging the instrument, and plug it back in.
Have you switched the relays (by the pump) to see if that has any impact? I had the very same issue earlier this year, but it was just a bit of corrosion (boat had been under cover for almost 9 months) on the connectors for the "up" relay. Once taken out and plugged back in, everything worked.

If the shift lever switch is not working, you can easily put a replacement switch somewhere nearby or on the dash (although having the trim on the shift lever is very convenient). The wiring is NOT rocket science. very straight forward.

BTW, do you have a square or a round trim instrument?

win-or-bin

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, will check terminals tomorrow and relays if time permits, I have round trim guage wellcraft but looks like a more modern volvo penta fitment, its the one with the LED's and small digital display inside it if that makes sense!
Thanks

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

win-or-bin,

Realized I do have the VP 280 to DP-C drive Workshop manual. In the very rear (pages 164-167) are the exact wiring diagrams for your set-up. Can share it (big pdf at about 33MB), but going out of town Friday for the weekend (mountains, not lake/sound), so send me a PM with your e-mail address, and we'll somehow work it out.

win-or-bin

Seaman Apprentice

Awesome, thanks

win-or-bin,

Realized I do have the VP 280 to DP-C drive Workshop manual. In the very rear (pages 164-167) are the exact wiring diagrams for your set-up. Can share it (big pdf at about 33MB), but going out of town Friday for the weekend (mountains, not lake/sound), so send me a PM with your e-mail address, and we'll somehow work it out.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Awesome, thanks

The problem is, that manual does not cover the round trim gauges. That is why I posted the link for the other wiring diagram.
Did you look at it?

win-or-bin

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, just to update thread, got a chance to look at the boat today, using the wiring diagram Don gave me I traced the wire to the four relays, each relay connection had the tell tale grey/green look to it, got out my trusty cordless dremel and cleaned them up. I then coated them with acf-50 corrosion block, plugged all in, and, hey presto - trim working!
Thank for all the help, I am sure to be back on with numerous other problems as I strip the boat down (had the windlass motor out today and it looks like it had been found at the bottom of the sea!!)
Thanks gain
seumus