AQ131A with petronix Electronic Ignition Wiring Question

shawnn82

Seaman
I purchased the petronix kit for my aq131a and am stumped with how to wire this thing up correctly. I also got a new flamethrower coil for the Petronix kit.
Currently my old coil was wired like this
To the (-ve) terminal i have only 1 gray wire connected that went to the wiring harness. Im guessing this is for the tachometer
To the (+ve) terminal i have a white wire that goes to fuel pump
Also, to the (+ve) terminal was connected a Purple wire that went to the wiring harness. Not sure what this connects to. Im guessing the ignition switch

To the condensor on my distributor i had a purple wire hooked up as a multi point connection that also connected the contact point.

Now, How would i hook up thepetronix kit? Do the old wires on the coil go to the same +ve and -ve terminals on the new coil in addition to the ignitor module red to +ve and black to -ve on new coil? Also, most importantly where does the purple wire that went to the condensor go to?
Any help would be appreciated.

Almost forgot, the petronix instructions call for the possibility of having a ballast resistor. What does this look like and how do i know if i have it?

Maclin

Admiral
Re: AQ131A with pertronix Electronic Ignition Wiring Question

You can get some pubs for your drive by typing AQ131A in the Engine Type in the following link....:

http://www.volvopenta.com/VOLVOPENT...LICATION_SEARCH/Pages/publication_search.aspx

The operator's manual has a basic wiring diagram, and is one of the pubs you can download.

In my interpretation, and if yours is still all stock, then..

• You should have 2 wires on the coil negative terminal. One goes to the distributor, the other to the tach. The tach wire is usually grey. The diagram shows the distributor wire as dark red.
  • I am sure you have an external ballast resistor/resistance. The stock coil may be marked on the outside as to requiring external ballast or not.
  • The purple coil wire is "after" the ballast and will not have a full 12v.
  • You will not find a full 12v power supply from any wires at the coil.
Regarding ballast resistance, the coil's design determines if that is needed or not. The Flamethrower series is internally resisted I believe, the documents you got with the coil will tell you.

The pertronix unit itself wants a full 12 volts that is available anytime the ignition is on. Same with a coil with internal resistance.

shawnn82

Seaman

Yea i have the pubs, It doesnt match up to what i have. The external fuel pump wire on coil throws me off as theres no mention of that anywhere. I will get a better read of the wiring on the harness tommorow. It may be that some wires may be jumped as the purple wire that goes to the distributor condensor is wired directly to the harness connector and not the coil.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The 131 was not originally equiped with an electric fuel pump. The fuel pump should not be powered directly off the coil.

zerobalance

Cadet

rats moved into my 86 bayliner and chewed on some of the wires. my advice is to trace your wires from the ignition switch (key) and follow them into your engine room. always run your fuel pump on a fused circuit from the key switch, does it spark at all? when i did a electronic ignition conversion on mine it was 180 degrees out of time. this was because of how the trigger mounted in the distributor. try to run your hot ignition wire without the resistor. neg to ground, pos to the key. you may need to install a relay for the fuel pump depending on the length of the circuit to compensate for voltage drop.

shawnn82

Seaman

AQ131A SN7897004920 ENGINE WIRING HARNESS SCHEMATIC rev1.JPGOkay so here is the engine harness wiring broken down by wire. Any suggestions? Based on this setup, how would i wire the pump to the relay? and would i just terminate the wire to the condensor.

sqbtr

The fuel pump should only run when the engine is running or during cranking

You will need an oil press switch that is N.O. to accomplish that. Your starter should have an unused terminal if you are not running a resistor to your coil. That terminal will be used to power the pump while cranking, after it is running the OP switch wich has ign run power on one side will power it after the pressure comes up and the contacts close. If you are running a resistor you will need to use another relay.

The relay shown in your diagram is a crank relay. Is that the manufacturers wiring diagram?

The condenser wire or trigger wire goes to the coil negative terminal. It fires the coil and gives the tach signal.

shawnn82

Seaman
Re: AQ131A with petronix Electronic Ignition Wiring Question

No that is not the manuacturers wiring diagram, I went over every wire on that engine yesterday and drew up that schematic. Yea i had a little too much time on my hands lol. OKay so im prety positive i dont have a resistor, if anything its possibly internal on the old coil. I know the knew petronix flamethrower coil is resisted internally. Does that apply to getting a new relay setup for the fuel pump? If not, does my revised wiring diagram of the fuel pump and distribitor go hand in hand with how you explained it? Here it is attached.AQ131A SN7897004920 ENGINE WIRING HARNESS SCHEMATIC rev3.JPG

sqbtr

First check to see if you have the extra terminal on your starter, if it doesn't you most likely don't have a marine starter and that needs to be corrected first.

You still need to run your OP sender but add a second OP switch that is N.O. One wire feeding it from ign the other wire going to the fuel pump

shawnn82

Seaman

You still need to run your OP sender but add a second OP switch that is N.O. One wire feeding it from ign the other wire going to the fuel pump

Since I am not gonna find this in the volvo penta part store for my engine, any suggestion as to what OP switch would work? The only port i have on the block by the oil filter is where the Op sender is mounted. How would i connect the OP switch? WOuld you know a part number i could use to order this?
Also I would like to get a new fuel pump since the one i have is an automotive fuel pump. Is there a marine electric version for the aq131a?

sqbtr

Since you brought it up, why not just go with the marine mechanical. I would bet it is cheaper than a marine approved electric. Plus you don't have all the other components that can fail. If you do go electric you can just put a tee where the OP sender is.

I boats lists the pump for $65

Volvo part #841161

shawnn82

Seaman

Since you brought it up, why not just go with the marine mechanical. I would bet it is cheaper than a marine approved electric. Plus you don't have all the other components that can fail. If you do go electric you can just put a tee where the OP sender is.

I boats lists the pump for $65

Volvo part #841161

You know what, i think im just going too get the mechanical pump, like you said, fewer components to fail and far cheaper.Right outta the fuel tank i have the fuel and water seperator. From that i got the electric fuel pump with a hose that goes to the carb. Would i need any additional connecting components / hoses to go with the mech pump? Also, since its mechanical im assuming it would be run off by something on the block, how do these work and where would i mount / install it?

shawnn82

Seaman

If you do go electric

OKay, so looked up the parts and alltogether are a little out of my budget rite now. I figured i would just get the OP switch and a tee connector for a couple bucks and go that route till i get the boat in operation. I did however find a marine version of the same pump for far less cheap online. Will consider gettin that later. Now ive read online, of being able to wire in a bypass switch to turn on the fuel pump at the flick of a switch at the helm should the Op switch fail. How would i wire in the switch if in the OFF position the pump runs off the OP switch and in the ON position it bypasses the OP switch?

sqbtr

Running an automotive electric pump is an explosion waiting to happen. No one here will give you advice on what you want to do...................

shawnn82

Seaman

Running an automotive electric pump is an explosion waiting to happen. No one here will give you advice on what you want to do...................

I dont plan on running it with the automotive pump. The boat is nowhere near operational with all the repairs i have to do on the engine and boat itself. Going off the checklist the fuel pump was somewhere last on the list. Like i said i did find a marine pump i would like to get. However, after searching some more online i found some coast guard approved electric pumps that were in the same price range of the OEM mehanical pump and connecting components combined. The GPH and PSI ratings were across the board for the elec pumps. Where should i be with GPH and PSI for the AQ131A. I havent quite decided on what i want to do yet. Jus gathering information.