Volvo Headbolt torque lbs and sequence

LarryDennis

Recruit
We were given a '73 inboard outdrive 4 cylinder Volvo engine, boat, trailer, etc that had sat for 5 years. We did some tinkering with it (remove old gas, input new plugs, etc) and got it to start. There was water in the oil so had the head milled and have a new head gasket to put on. We're at a standstill now cause we can't find information on what the torgue and sequence for the head bolts is. In the forum there was mention of contacting Gene70 but that number (from 2002 forum note) is no longer in service. We would like to buy a manual for this rig but don't know where to look to find #'s for engine to help in our search. We do know it's a 4 cylinder but that's about it. Any help anyone can give us would be great. These freebies (boat, etc) are sure expensive!!! Thanks...

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo Headbolt torque lbs and sequence

If you can post a picture of the engine, that would probably help others on here ID it for you. You can look on the port side near the flywheel cover for a metal tag indicating the model (e.g. AQXXX, BBXXX, etc). I'm assuming the breather cover is not readable.

Mine is an AQ125B and here are the torque specs for the head bolts:

screen_01.gif

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

The boat most likely came with an AQ130 but may have been changed over the last 38 years. Without a serial number or pictures, we're just guessing. The serial number is located just forward of the starter. You can enter it here to get more detailed information: http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta/global/en-gb/marine_leisure_engines/out_of_production_engines/Pages/out_of_production_engines.aspx

Find out which engine you have and post some pictures and people may be able to help you out a little more.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

An AQ125B has an aluminum head and the OP's boat likely is the steel head since the OHC motors weren't around yet in 73 so I wouldt be using the specs in Paperklip's post.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you still have the original 73 engine, it would be an OHV engine (With pushrods) you would have either an AQ115 or an AQ130. With either one of those, here is the head torque for them.

attachment.php

Attachments

• torque.jpg
    torque.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 2

Timmm4500

Recruit

I have a 1983 Volvo aq125a. Do you know head bolt torque and sequence for that ? and cam bolts? Please help