1998 Volvo 4.3Gi drain locations for winterizing?

whfh99

Cadet
Hi. I have a 1998 Volvo I/O 4.3Gi and have found both block drains, removed water pump hoses and manifold hoses to get the water out for winterization. My question is what else is there? The manual calls for the removal of a drain plug for the intake manifold??? I see what looks like a square headed plug on the front of the intake manifold, right above the water pump but it looks like it has never been removed nor do I see way to get at it since the alternator bracket and a wire harness block access of getting a socket on it. There is also mention of a removing a small hose at the top of the thermostat housing called 'bypass hose'? Did that but no water came out. It calls to remove it somewhere in the back of the engine and blow air through it. I just wanted to ask someone who had winterized this engine before, what exactly is needed as I would prefer not to remove half the engine parts if not needed.

Thanks,

Link

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1998 Volvo 4.3Gi drain locations for winterizing?

That bypass hose goes to the Vapor Separator tank to keep the fuel in the tank cool. In the drawing below should make it clearer as to what is going on. Just disconnect the hoses at 1 and 2 and blow air into 1. That will make sure the VS tank is empty. Make sure you can blow air through it, they can get plugged up and break if frozen.

attachment.php

Not sure where you read that info on the manifold plug. But it's not in the manual for your engine. It did need removed on later GXi and GL models, but you have a Gi.

Attachments

• VST.jpg
    VST.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1