1988 Volvo Penta Aq131 TRIM/TILT ISSUE

doberacker

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, I took off my trim/tilt unit 1.5 years ago, worked FINE. I just couldn't use as it was hitting the hull on boat. I just sold the unit to my buddy, and he can't get it to work??? He said he tried to just "put hot/ground" to the motor on the unit and couldn't get it to work? I remember that I had the Black wire and RED wire out of the switch box hooked up, and the wires to the MOTOR had plugs that ran to the switch box. Then the wire that went to the console had the wires that ran the switch. I "KNOW" it worked when I took it off. Maybe it could be that he doesn't have the wires connected right? He only tried to run the motor by itself? I am going to pick the unit up in the AM, but would appreciate ANY ideas you all would have? I just want to test and make sure it's working properly. There must be a way to test to see whats up without having to hookup the unit to a throttle set with the "trim button"???? Daryl

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1998 Volvo Penta Aq131 TRIM/TILT ISSUE

1998 aq 131, I doubt it.

Tell us what it really is.

doberacker

Seaman Apprentice

I "thought" it was a 88??? I KNOW for a fact it's a AQ131, 4 cyl. I don't have the boat anymore so I can't get the serial numbers off it? May be earlier. The numbers on the trim unit are 897650.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

For some reason, the thread title changed from 88 to 98.

doberacker

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, I meant to post (88) and the first gentleman was right! LOL, it's NOT a 98! Closer to an 88. But I posted the PART, PART NUMBER. I'm thinking the red wire (hot) and the black wire (ground) out of the switch box must be hooked up. Then,,, I must put power to the BLUE wire, and the GREEN wire, to make it work. The wires coming out of the motor just have plugs (male/female) that go to the switch box. I think what my buddy was doing is trying to bypass the switch box (ie. the solonoid), and maybe that's why it's not working? I will try what I described and go from there.