2002 Volvo Penta 5.0GL-A, new to me--recommendations to check/replace? Carry spares?

koejc2

Cadet
I recently became the owner of a 2002 Larson LXi 210 w/V-P 5.0GL-A/SX drive. I have no original documentation, only what was downloaded from the V-P website (thanks Don S.) This past week was stranded twice on a lake - first time was a long way from anyone, was convinced it was vapor lock. Second time I stayed reasonably close to the marina/slip - did not have far to paddle. After 2nd time, local mechanic said there was no output from the fuel pump (possibly bad fuel pump or no power, or maybe a bad relay?).

As a new owner, what should I either replace or check? In another thread, it was mentioned to periodically take the drive off and check the bellows for water (??), u-joints, gimbal bearing (?), alignment, and grease the splines for the coupler, etc. It also mentioned to bring spare relays for the starter and fuel pump.

So, if you were the new owner of a 2002 Larson with a Volvo Penta inboard/outdrive, what would you do to "learn" your engine and maximize your reliability factor? (I plan to keep it in fresh water lakes.) Should I consider investing in a set of Volvo shop manuals?

Oh, in another thread I read something about replacing the rubber impeller. How do I check if this is bad? Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2002 Volvo Penta 5.0GL-A, new to me--recommendations to check/replace? Carry spar

This thread is a good start. Including item #11
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430

Basically, if you follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual, or download the one from the Volvo site (posted below) you can't go wrong.
The manuals for your engine are in the above link.

Maintenance Schedule:

Attachments

• ViewPdf.pdf
    22.3 KB · Views: 0