Volvo Penta 4.3L GL-J Steering cylinder, is this normal? Pic inside

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, I already had my steering cylinder replaced 2 months ago for leaking under warranty. I am still under warranty until May 2012. I have asked around and cannot get a straight answer from local Volvo dealers...

1)There is suppose to be a slight film on the cylinder as it passes in and out..

2)No, the cylinder is suppose to be completely dry with no fluid loss.

This is the new replaced cylinder...

2011-09-03_16-54-56_312.jpg2011-09-03_16-54-10_446.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3L GL-J Steering cylinder, is this normal? Pic inside

Looks like it's still leaking.
You sure it not the lines? Take it back.Make them replace the whole system

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That is a leak, not a slight film, and it should not leak. Take it back and tell them it needs fixed.

If I was the dealer, I would be wondering why 2 cylinders ended up leaking the same way.

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, I didn't think this was normal. In the picture there seems to be a dirt/silt coloration in the fluid on the cylinder. I have no idea why it looks like that. I have also filled it up with Genuine Volvo Penta power steering/ trim fluid.

Its not the lines, all fittings are dry and tight. I had a leak from the fittings when I first got the boat and tightened the fittings and fixed that issue. There was a wet spot on the Volvo Penta label portion of the cylinder at that time alarming me of a the leak, there is no signs of wet spots now as the picture shows.

Only thing that stands out is the fluid in the Reservoir looks like reddish tranny fluid and the fluid I bought from a Volvo dealer is colored similar to that of a light motor oil. I doubt that has anything to do with it. I went a head and e-mailed my dealer to start the warranty process AGAIN so they'll have the part when they get the boat to winterize it.