1998 volvo 3.0 starter drive problems

bwoodone

Cadet
My impeller went, engine overheated. Fixed that - ran OK after, then after about 20 starts starter drive went (on a 1 yr old starter). It made ugly grinding noise from then on then starter made only whirring sound like dremil and wouldn't turn over. Charged up batter that didn't help. So I installed new warranty starter and same thing happened - it worked initially - boat ran ok - and again after about 20-50 starts at hot restart same ugly grinding noise then starter made that same whirring sound like dremil and wouldn't turn over. I have examined the ring gear all he way round and it looks fine no missing teeth or damage etc. The starters did not have damaged teeth either. Took that starter back and got my money back. Now I have bought one from a different supplier - it actually more closely resembles the OEM one I happened to still have.

So do you think just got unlucky with lousy starter drives - or could there be some problem - maybe related to the overheat that is the root cause and its going to wreck this starter drive too? I asked and the supplier said I should not have to shim this unit for it to align proper.

help!

mark.morris29

Recruit
Re: 1998 volvo 3.0 starter drive problems

I'm pretty much having the same issue with my 2003 Volvo 4.3GL. I changed the starter at the beginning of the starter, however the bolts were a little different. I kept hearing the grinding noise, until I tightened up the bolts with every bit of strength I had. It worked for a while, but just like you my impeller went, so I changed that and then ran into the grinding noise once again. I have tried to shim it (Still learning this process, but used the article on Shiming that Don S. sent on another thread), but so far have been unsuccessful. While I wish I had some advice to help you, I don't, just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain and am definitely interested in whatever answers you get. So I'd like to second the motion for Help!