overheating volvo penta aq 131

prueben

Recruit
Hi everyone, I have read through some of the overheating threads and am not sure now where to begin my search for the problem. The engine overheats at higher rpm. A few things I have noticed
are that when i put the ears on practically no water comes out of the exaust, when the leg is in a bucket it seems to spit out a fair amount of water. I have checked the impellar, put in a new
thermostaat it seems okay. The exhaust manifold does not seem to get all that hot, i can still touch it, I noticed the salt water strainer had sand in it. When i open the salt water strainer housing watercomesout fairly quickly, which would indicate that the pump is working. If you turn the motor off though it would loose prime in the housing fairly quickly im not sure if thats normal or not. Would
really appreciate an idea where the best place to start looking .
thanks Philip

captmello

Captain
Re: overheating volvo penta aq 131

what temp does the gauge say its running at? those engines run 190-200 deg normally.
If your manifold is remaining cool, perhaps the heat exchanger needs to be flushed/cleaned.

Welcome, BTW.:)

prueben

Recruit

It runs at around 200, we took the exhaust manifold off last night it was rusted through extensivley, im hoping that might be the problem. What are thoughts on buying aftermarket, these manifolds are very expensive buying volvo, around 1500.00 compared to some at 400.00. Are there brands that have a good rep?
thanks Philip

stx123456

Seaman Apprentice

Hi, I just went through overheating problem. It drove my nuts. I replaced water pump,thermostat,took off and cleaned manifolds, impeller. Motor was still climbing to 260. Then i noticed this pvc piece at back of engine. It has the fresh water hook up at the top, and the water from the outdrive on one side, and the hose leading to the front pump on the other. I took it apart and found a cylinder wrapped around by a spring that is supposed to go up and down. It was stuck down and not letting water into the engine. Once fixed, she runs at about 140-160. It is a 1984 225D volvo penta motor. dont know if u have same setup. hope this helps.

captmello

Captain

Hi, I just went through overheating problem. It drove my nuts. I replaced water pump,thermostat,took off and cleaned manifolds, impeller. Motor was still climbing to 260. Then i noticed this pvc piece at back of engine. It has the fresh water hook up at the top, and the water from the outdrive on one side, and the hose leading to the front pump on the other. I took it apart and found a cylinder wrapped around by a spring that is supposed to go up and down. It was stuck down and not letting water into the engine. Once fixed, she runs at about 140-160. It is a 1984 225D volvo penta motor. dont know if u have same setup. hope this helps.

This poster has a completely different cooling system. it is fresh water cooled using a heat exchanger. It is supposed to run around 190 deg, so 200 may be just a gauge that is a bit off.
The exhaust manifold is a different issue. I wouldn't be afraid to try an aftermarket manifold.