Slow cooling drip from bottom of starter, Volvo 5.0L GL, what is it probably?

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
1999 5.0 GL PWTR.

I have a slow raw water cooling drip into the bilge, from the rear of the motor. Using an inspection mirror I can see it is dripping out of what appears to be a small slot (probably a low-spot drain?) at the bottom of the starter, near the starter teeth/flywheel engagement area. Approx one drip every 5 seconds, only when engine is running. It does the same when out of the water running on muffs, so I know it is not lake water coming thru thru transom housing/bellows or similar.

I will pull off the starter after the season is over and try to look for rust streaks/signs of the source of leak,..but the bad news is I probably can't see it running and dripping from the source if I remove the starter, because I won't be able to start the motor without a starter! (Though I suppose I could MAYBE start the motor, let it idle, and carefully pull the starter off while it's still idling...I'm not crazy about that idea)

So in the meantime...what's up under there? Where do you suspect this drip might be coming from? Is there a casting/freeze plug hidden up under the starter? That's my best guess...your input is appreciated if there are other things in that location that might be causing this drip.

Thank you!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Slow cooling drip from bottom of starter, Volvo 5.0L GL, what is it probably?

There are core plugs in the back of the engine. The only way I know of to check for a leaky core plug or crack is to pull the engine, remove the flywheel and inspect for damage.
Was the engine ever replaced with an automotive block?

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Slow cooling drip from bottom of starter, Volvo 5.0L GL, what is it probably?

No, it has never been replaced. I can see the core plug above the starter clearly and it is not leaking. But I forgot there are core plugs on the backside as well. Most likely this is the source of the drip, or it could indeed be a crack.

The engine HAS been frozen, before I purchased the boat with known external block cracks. I elected to patch and roll the dice before pulling the motor, and I'm about 3 years/150 hours into it now, and it's still running happliy on JB Weld patches on each side of the motor. It's internally healthy as horse and oil always stays clean.

BUT...I will now suspect there is a crack or pushed plug on the backside, that may have resulted from this past freeze event. That indeed appears to be exactly where the drip is coming from. Something fun and new to explore over this winter.

Thank you for your input, always helpful.