Volvo Penta AQ131A/275 Fuel Pump

lsu_engr

Recruit
Recenty purchased a 87' Invader with a Volvo Penta AQ131A/275. Boat has last been run in 2005. After a feww hours with the boat, have figured out that we aren't getting fuel at this point. We have figured out the fire and can get the boat going by priming the carb. Pulled the fuel line from the fuel pump and can suck gas out of the tank, so definitely the pump as the carb is not getting fuel.

Can I use a fuel pump from a regular Volvo engine or does it have to be marine specific? Boat will only be in freshwater. What car model works for this engine? Additionally, the manual says to pump the old engine oil out even though there is a drain. Is it not recommended to simply drain it with the drain plug?

WILSONS88

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Volvo Penta AQ131A/275 Fuel Pump

Sierra Fuel Pump Vp 841161 18-7286. There is the part number for your pump. If its been sitting that long you will probably need to rebuild the carb and give it a major tune up. Wires, spark plugs, cap, rotor, points, belts, fuel filters and check the other rubber goods in and on the engine. Probably have some dry rot on those parts.
You can drain your oil into the bilge area but it really makes a mess. A transfer pump works pretty good.You attach it to your dipstick tube and pump away. I usually pull the plug at the end of the season, let it drain into an oil catch pan outside the boat. Then clean out the bilge with a degreaser. I clean the bilge anyway at the end of the season.

lsu_engr

Recruit

Thanks. We took the carb apart and it was fine. No buildup or anything. We cleaned everything including jets, made sure everything was functioning properly and put it back together. What else would we need to do to the carb besides getting it some gas from the fuel pump? I realize some stuff will need to be replaced and it is on the list. Plan is to get it running first before I drop too much cash on it. The interior is in really bad shape, which I will fix, but didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a motor and interior. If the fuel pump gets it running, then I'll fix the maintenance stuff. Otherwise, going to get rid of it and buy a different project.

WILSONS88

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Take the fuel inlet off the carb and get some fuel hose and run it to the gas can. Turn the engine over to see if it acually is pumping fuel. If you can get a fuel pressure gauge that would be helpful. Pressure should be about 7 to 8 psi from the pump. If less or more replace pump. Also the accelerator pump in the carb could be stiff from sitting around. You said you took the carb apart? Did you rebuild it with new gaskets or just take it apart and put it back together.

lsu_engr

Recruit

No new gaskets at this point. We simply took it apart, made sure no jets were clogged, made sure the float worked, cleaned everything and put it back together. Those are items that I will do later if I can get it running. I bought this boat for $600 as a project. I don't want to drop too much money into the motor since the whole interior has to be replaced. If I can get it running correctly for minimal expense, then I will do the "maintenance" things as just the cost of owning a boat. What I don't want to do is have a major engine issue that I have to start off with. I'll just flip the boat and find a new project if that is the case. At this point, it seems if I replace the fuel pump, I will have a running engine. Then I need to put it in the water and make sure there are no issues with the outdrive. Then I would consider it a success and move on to making the necessary maintenance issues and interior overhaul. Thanks for the help.