Volvo aq225d 5.0 engine 1985 sunrunner electronic distributor

I took my boat out it had a lack of power. I could get it up to 10 to 15 mph but it would not get up on plane. I opened the throttle all the way with no power. I got a backfire through the carb a lot of swishing water but never got it over the top. zrpms did not increase as I opened the throttle.

The marina checked the boat out and said I had a bad distributor not advancing and i needed a carb (rochester 4 barrell). Also manifolds were leaking. The Carb was rebuilt last year. it either was a poor job or an ethanol casualty or maybe not a carb. (they diagnosed carb on my last boat and they were wrong also)

My question is would a bad distributor cause this problem of lack of power? Or do you think it is both carb and distributor. I was going to replace it with another distributor that had points but I came across a 1 year old Mallory distributor that is electronic. No points out of a 350.

My second question is assuming I drop it in properly lined up tdc and number one cylinder do I need to set timing on this new distributor the same way I would on one with points and a condenser? I thought I read somewhere no more need to adjust timing with a pointless distributor.

You guys on here have always been a great help to me. With your help i have diagnosed so many problems. This bill through the Marina would be over 3 thousand dollars.
So you see why I would like to tackle this myself.

captmello

Captain
Re: Volvo aq225d 5.0 engine 1985 sunrunner electronic distributor

The Dist. is easy to check. It can be checked with a timing light to see if it's advancing of not. the carb is not as straight forward to diagnose.

Yes you do need to set the timing with the new dist., but the procedure may be a little different depending on the dist.. I'm not familiar with Mallory.

I would do one thing at a time. Also, it doesn't take a marine mechanic to rebuild a carb.

Good Luck.

Re: Volvo aq225d 5.0 engine 1985 sunrunner electronic distributor

Can I do this on with Muffs? Or do I need to be in the water?

I ordered a rebuild kit for the carb. I am going to take a shot at it if the distributor doesn't resolve the issue.