volvo penta timing belt broken

e123pedro

Recruit
Hello Everyone

Iam looking at buying a 1989 imperial boat. The problem is the the timing belt is broken, does anyone one know of a way to check and see if the valves are bent, other than tear the motor down. I dont know how many liters the engine is, all I know is it is a 4cyclider i/o. Could the engine also have a free floating head? any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You
Eric

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: volvo penta timing belt broken

If it's a SOHC which is non-interference (no valve crash) your in the clear :). If it is a DOHC engine, I believe there may have been an accident :(

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Roger is correct. if it's a SOHC, on problem. If DOHC ----- Run away and Keep looking.

e123pedro

Recruit

how do I tell if its a sohc or dohc?

Thank you
Eric

Don S

Find out the model number of the engine is one way.

Look at the front of the head.
1 toothed wheel = 1 cam = SOHC = Single Over Head Cam
2 toothed wheels = 2 cams = DOHC = Dual Over Head Cam

e123pedro

Recruit

I just got off the phone with the guy. he said the engine is a AQ171c. He said the belt broke when he was putting around going through a no wake zone. He said it died and he just put it on the trailer, he hasnt tried to start it since the belt break. It is a dohc from what i can find. You guys still say run away?

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have one of those engines (AQ171C), and yes, if the belt broke, risk for major and VERY costly damages.

As "good" as that engine is otherwise, parts are very pricey. I would look at something with either the AQ151 (I-4, SOHC) or something based on the GM V6 or V8. All depends on how much power you want/need.

That said, where's the boat? Might be interested in (engine) parts?

Have the owner replace the timing belt, then do a compression test. That will give you an idea if there's evident damage.
If compression is good, then you can start it.

e123pedro

Recruit

lets say I buy the boat and install the timing belt and it doesnt run. Should I assume that the valves are bent? What other problems may the timing belt breaking caused? iam ok with putting some money into the engine, just dont wana put more that $500.00 if possible.

Don S

Bent valves, holes in pistons, damaged cam.
It will be well over $500 unless you are super, SUPER, lucky finding used parts at a fantastic low price, and can do all the work yourself.
Those engines are expensive to work on for even minor items.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hate to say it, but you are likely not going to get very far with $500 on that engine. Parts ARE expensive (compared to most any other marine engine).
If the belt broke and it was running, you either have bent valves, damaged pistons, or maybe even connecting rods.
I'd say "walk away" - and I say that having the same engine, so far w/o any major issues. Mine runs great, but if was I looking today, I would be looking at something based on the GM V6 or V8 block (still with a Volvo outdrive though). Different problems, but cheaper parts.

When looking at buying the first boat, or when upgrading, we tend to throw "common sense" and "reasoning" out the window - but that might also be why we are boating in the first place...:p

BTW, where is the boat (and you?)

RogersJetboat454

Commander

lets say I buy the boat and install the timing belt and it doesnt run. Should I assume that the valves are bent? What other problems may the timing belt breaking caused? iam ok with putting some money into the engine, just dont wana put more that $500.00 if possible.

Well it supposedly ran before the belt broke. If replacing the belt doesn't get the engine running again, chances are good you have valve issues.
The bent valves could have damaged the head and pistons beyond repair/use. As you can imagine it would probably cost more than $500 for a new head and to rebuild the lower end.

That engine is also an oddball. They didn't sell the number of them that they sold the SOHC engines in. And finding parts can be expensive, or close to impossible.

If you really want to go ahead with this, you should probably find someone with a borescope that can look into the cylinders and check the pistons for witness marks, and the valves for any obvious signs of damage. If all looks OK, see if the guy will spring for a t-belt, put it back together, and check compression.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Have the owner replace the timing belt, then do a compression test. That will give you an idea if there's evident damage.
If compression is good, then you can start it.
So does your user name mean "Brake" (as in don't) "Break Out Another Thousand"? :)

So maybe the OP should put on the Brakes so he doesn't "Break Out Another Thousand"

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree, smart move!

e123pedro, where are you, where is/was the boat?
Asking since I am always scouting for parts for the AQ171, and this sounds like it was a good "parts" engine. One sort of have to jump when any news regarding this rare engine surfaces...

Don S

WC19, please use the Private messages for personal transactions, not the forums. per the forum rules.
Thanks.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Noted, will do.

Wasn't really meant as a private "request" for a transaction (was just more curious), but I understand if it can be seen like that. :).
Others might be just as interested when one of these rare (beasts) do surface in a forum.