Volvo 5.0 with heat exchanger winterizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEASPORT22

Recruit
I have a 99 volvo-penta 5.0GI with a DPS outdrive. I'm new to an engine with a heat exchanger cooling system as the last boat I had just had a raw water cooling system. I'm starting to think about winterizing it soon and was wondering about the areas that are cooled with the heat exchanger and the areas cooled by the raw water system. I was thinking that the heat exchanger system is closed and cooled all the internal engine areas like the heads and block as well as the power steering cooler, can't find an oil cooler on mine, (could be there, but I haven't found it yet). That being said, in terms of draining down the engine for winter, can I just drain the raw water system which would include the raw water pump, both hoses that come and go to it, the manifolds and the heat exchanger? also looks like a hose going to the outdrive that would raw water in it to drain. A Clymer manual came with the boat when we bought it and it, in my opinion, is very poor at describing the areas with anitfreeze in them and the areas with raw water in them and what areas need to be drained before freeze up. Also, curious to tricks to run the stabilizing gas through the engine when I shut it down for the year. Do you recommend a shot of fogging oil in the cylinders too? hearing mixed ideas on this.
Thanks.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo 5.0 with heat exchanger winterizing

Don has written an excellent post about winterization. Read it!
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=178695

At the very least, you should "suck up" a (proper) glycol mixture into the sea water circuit to ensure that it does not freeze. I remove the intake hose from the shield, and let if suck out of a buckets that I have inside the boat. Make sure you have enough of glycol so it will flow through and fill entire engine sea water circuit.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just make sure the Exhaust system is drained, and the raw water side of the heat exchanger.
Just make sure the anti freeze is below the temp you might see this winter.

What's the full model number of your engine (all those letters) or the 10 digit serial number for your engine?

You can download an owners manual from Volvo at the link below.

http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopent...lication_search/pages/publication_search.aspx

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don is the man for Volvo penta. I have a VP 5.7 with heat exchanger. Here is what I do.

1. Drain my heat exchanger and rinse out with fresh water and check internal condition. I replace my zink at that time.
2. I drain the risers and reinsert riser drain plugs that are on the back of riser.
3. If you have a hot water heater and if it is on the raw water side drain it out as well.
4. Check every hose and every clamp on the raw water side. Repair and replace what is in need.
5. I have a garden hose hook up for flushing motor, I hook my winterizing tank to that. I tape off the raw water pick up on the out drive so not to lose any anti freeze going out the intake side.
6. Start it and run till all anti freeze is out of tank and coming out exhaust.
7. You are done. Some say to drain after because air can't freeze. I believe air is required for rust. Always use the lowest temp anti freeze you can find. If there is any water that mixes with it you will still be ok. Check the antifreeze on the sealed side for condition and temp protection.

Good luck and happy boating.

SEASPORT22

Recruit

Thanks for the info, good trick for getting the glycol into the system.
Thanks

SEASPORT22

Recruit

Thanks for the link to the Volvo manual, that's exactly what I need. I just wanted to make I'm understanding the heat exchanger setup in that the block and heads are all filled with antifreeze from the closed cooling system and really the only areas that have raw water would be the hoses going to the raw water pump, then to the heat exchanger and then the return hoses from the heat exchanger going to the exhaust manifolds and then outboard through the exhaust. Is that the jest of it??
Thanks again for you help.

mrmuzic

Recruit

GREAT questions does anyone know the answer to this ?

Kevin

I am thinking about converting to a heat exchanger and would like to know if its possible and if it is how to isolate the two cooling systems ?

Thanks for the link to the Volvo manual, that's exactly what I need. I just wanted to make I'm understanding the heat exchanger setup in that the block and heads are all filled with antifreeze from the closed cooling system and really the only areas that have raw water would be the hoses going to the raw water pump, then to the heat exchanger and then the return hoses from the heat exchanger going to the exhaust manifolds and then outboard through the exhaust. Is that the jest of it??
Thanks again for you help.

Status
Not open for further replies.