Water leak in Volvo SX Lower unit

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

I just did a pressure test on the intake section of my 1999 Volvo SX-M stern drive. I am getting water coming out of two small holes on both sides of the drive up near where it attaches to the upper unit (see photo). I'm pretty sure i shouldn't be getting water coming out here and that this represents a leak somewhere in the drive. However, before pulling the lower unit off, i thought i better check here first. Anyone have any ideas??

Attachments

• IMG_2788 copy.jpg
    IMG_2788 copy.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Water leak in Volvo SX Lower unit

Well - i think i might have found the problem in case anyone else runs into this. The seal on the inlet tube into the lower unit was shot. Someone had tried a band-aid fix by wrapping it in electrical tape:facepalm:.

If i'm replacing the lower seal on the pick-up tube, does it make sense to also replace the upper seal? I can't seem to get the tube out even though i think its just a pressure fit.

DrNo08

Cadet

Im confused. I thought those two holes on each side are where the outdrive "pees". Are you sure water isn't supposed to come from those 4 holes when idling on the muffs or in the water?

0352Marine

Seaman Apprentice

I have water coming from my 4 holes and I have no cooling problems. I pretty sure water is supposed to come out of those holes

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They are drain holes so those pockets in the castings drain. When running on muffs the exhaust pushes the water out...

scb1712

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good to know - so if i see water coming out of them when running on muffs i won't worry. Is there any concern about those holes sucking air when up on plane? Either way - the lower water tube seal was shot.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No.