Water-Separating Fuel Filter recommendation for old Volvo I/O?

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
New to this site but not new to boats...<br /><br />I'm looking to replace my old clear glass bowl type fuel filter for my Volvo AQ130C 4 cylinder 130hp I/O engine with a modern day canister type water-separating fuel filter for which, hopefully, filter elements will be easily obtainable for the upcoming years.<br /><br />Any specific recommendations on something under $50?<br /><br />TIA!

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: Water-Separating Fuel Filter recommendation for old Volvo I/O?

I just went to google and typed fuel filter water separator and came up with a bunch of results, maybe someone else can give you a better recommendation. I am sure there are good ones out there for a reasonable price

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the quick responses. Yes, I've seen the variety of choices and I guess that's why I posted the question...too many to choose from! :) <br /><br />I guess as long as the filter has enough fuel flow capacity (which I am sure anything for Mercruisers, etc. would work OK since it's application is for a small 4 cyl. 130 HP engine), it does not really matter which one I choose. It also seems that for inboard engines, you should use an all metal filter, as opposed to some I've seen that have a plastic water separator bowl on the bottom...those seem to be for outboards only.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

the filter with the clear bowl are useful and give the water somewhere to sit other then the bottom of your metal filter. with the advantage of actually being able to see water or crud.<br /><br />Bob thats the biggest avatar ive ever seen. bar none mate.<br /><br />o and dunaruna, go the mighty west coast!

Dunaruna

Admiral

Ben, ex sandgroper maybe?

weatherz

Seaman

Bob, I can sure tell thats Tahoe water by how clear it is. learned to waterski in that lake about 25 years ago, boy was the water cold in July! Grew up in s. Tahoe, off Pioneer Trail. Too expensive to live there now though. Sure do miss it.

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

My apologies for the oversize avatar! I presumed the system would downsize it.<br /><br />Maybe I'll just keep the glass bowl filter after all since it has provided 30+ years of good service. I was worried last year about not being able to find a filter for it, but Napa had one that fits. <br /><br />
filter.jpg