1995 excel 3.0 volvo penta makes a wierd rattle at low rpm

Leebro

Recruit
Hi there I have just purchased a 1995 excel with a 3.0 litre volvo penta and a volvo penta leg. Boat is in awesome condition and drives very well. Only problem is that at a low rpm it makes a strange rattling sound. I have had people tell me that it could be the gimbal bearing or universal joints between motor and leg. I have not taken anything apart to look at it yet but im looking for ideas from people who have experienced the same problem befire I start taking things apart. The motor oil is clean and has good oil pressure which leads me to think the problem is in the drive. The leg does not slip or anything but the rattle sounds like it is coming from the rear of the motor. I am new at working on boats but I do have a very good mechanical background any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks!
Lee

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 excel 3.0 volvo penta makes a wierd rattle at low rpm

Pull the outdrive and have a look. it's something that should be done yearly for preventive maintenance.
What is the full model number (all the letters after the 3.0) of your engine, or even the Volvo serial number?

Leebro

Recruit

engine serial # is 4112005926. I am going to try to pull the outdrive today. thanks

Leebro

Recruit

I pulled the outdrive and everything looks fine I greased the u joint while I had it out. I am thinking motor? I just don't get it cuz it runs perfect just is noisy. Any suggestions. Bell housing?

kaimalie

Seaman Apprentice

Don't put the drive back on yet ! it could be the ring gear on the flywheel !!!