Volvo 5.7 with prestolite distributer timing procedure.

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can anyone help with this, I have searched all over but can only find info on the version that requires a jumper.

Thanks in advance(pun intended)

Stan

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 5.7 with prestolite distributer timing procedure.

Like I said in your other thread. There is nothing special, just aim aim your timing light and turn the distributor to get the proper degrees.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=502638

Don't post a second thread on the same thing you have already asked in another thread.

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Don,

I started another thread to encourage more specific responses and as I am having trouble finding info, perhaps other forum members would benefit from the helpful responses, most of the problems in my last thread have been resolved.... thanks for your help here, really terrific.

I asked for a timing proceedure as I do not know the following -

Where timing marks are?
Is there a setting for idle and max advance and how are they adjusted seperately?
What are the settings?

Hi Don,

I started another thread to encourage more specific responses and as I am having trouble finding info, I considered that other forum members would benefit from the helpful responses, most of the problems in this thread have been resolved.... thanks for your help here.

I asked for a timing proceedure as I do not know the following -

Where timing marks are?
Is there a setting for idle and max advance and how are they adjusted seperately?
What are the settings?

Any help is much appreciated as always, I can't wait to report back that she's on the plain! :)

Best wishes,

Stan

Don S

Here is a link to the manuals, but they aren't going to help (Note: The electrical/fuel manual attempts to explain how to set timing)
http://www.4shared.com/dir/14518190/c08a758e/EFsharing.html

The problem is, the picture shows your timing marks, but they are only 0? and TDC. You need an advance timing light to set your distributor to the proper degree. Or find a speed shop with a degree tape for your dia. balancer, so you can tape it onto the balancer and be able to use a timing light without the advance feature.

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's fantastic info for download there Don, sincere thanks..

My timing light has the advance setting on it so i can set to whatever is required. I presume when using the chosen advance setting on the timing light I simply set the max advance to the TDC mark therefore not requiring any marks on the flywheel?

Stan

Don S

All I do with mine is set the timing light to what the book says (10? for example) then I turn the distributor until the line on the balancer and the timing cover align and that is 10? BTDC on the engine.
Set the timing light back to 0 and you will see where 10 is in relation to the 0 mark.

Don S

Do you have a 2300 carb?

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have these numbers stamped on -

75004-1

The jets I took out had a 69 stamped on them but the engine before rebuild was a 5.0 and has never been run nor set up as a 5.7 that it is now.

Don S

Look under the heading of carbs in that manual you just downloaded for the timing. Specs are on page 7-38.

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class

Still downloading... 1hr 22mins to go :)

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmmm.. having read the section on timing it seems like you only need to set the initial and weights inside the distributer take care of the advance....

or am I missing something? Is there no max advance adjustment?

Don S

Are you on a dial up internet connection? That manual is only 30MB ????

Anyway, yes the weights in the distributor control the advance. You can check advance to make sure it works like it should, but it's not adjustable or easly changed unless you have a speed shop around with a distributor machine that has a selection of springs.

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class

When my engine is idling my cyl 1 spark is set to happen exactly at tdc 0 degrees haha.

Can't wait till tomorrow to give her the 12 degrees :p

Brilliant!