Volvo Penta 5.7 fuel problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo Penta 5.7 fuel problems

2002 is before MTBE was being replaced by ethanol as an oxygenator. This is way old info.

My information comes from my chemical engineer friend at Chevron.

cobalt252

Seaman

Point is: it doesn't change where the ethanol blending occurs or how it is controlled. There's a good chance that E10 or E15 gasoline has excess ethanol in it and that this is the source of many of our fuel related problems ...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Point is: it doesn't change where the ethanol blending occurs or how it is controlled. There's a good chance that E10 or E15 gasoline has excess ethanol in it and that this is the source of many of our fuel related problems ...
You can blame ethanol all you want but the source of most problems is water/debris in the fuel or mechanical with carb/injection systems or fuel tanks. Excess water in the tank will become a bigger headache because of ethanol but the culprit is the water. Like I said before, if you have a lot of water in your tank, no amount of Sta-bil is going to solve that problem other than getting the water out of the tank physically. Adding the magic elixer to the fuel tank is the "easy" fix that people want to take but its not the answer.

cobalt252

Seaman

Exactly - cause (origin) of water/debris? Ethanol in fuel ...

Devildog01

Recruit

Help finding a pump!
2000 Striper, 5.7 Gsi perf. I replaced one pump (#3588865) but the other pump has stopped now as well. Replacing the entire fuel cell for $700.00 is just stupid when all I need is pump # 282 3019A. This is the pump which requires seperating the fuel cell for removal. I can not find just this pump. Any help?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Devildog. Welcome to iboats.
You need to start a new thread with your quesion, and not hijack someone elses.
From the "Announcement" at the top of this forum.

Please DO NOT reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Do Not write in them.

1. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Do not reply to them.

2. Do not take over someone else?s thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

3. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

4. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it?s posted at the end of someone else?s thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.

Thank You for your cooperation
The Moderators

sharps45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys for all the ethanol information- the stuff sucks all around!

A mechanic friend (who was out of town on vacation when I started this thread) came over and we went through the system. He said fuel pump going out, and replace kinked hose. Went to Iboats store and ordered parts. Replace fuel hose first (it came first) and didn't see much change. Replaced fuel pump and instant starts, 3 days on lake with no problems, think it's solved!

Now the ignition key is screwed up- won't rebound automatically from start position to the on position. Guess I'll replace that next.

Thanks again for all the advice.

MattBuss

Cadet
Don S: Another thing you can try when it stops, is to pull the fuel pump relay, jump the 30 and 87 terminals with a jumper wire and see if the pump will run (engine off) and listen to see if it fill the carb.

I am having similar issue, and have removed the lines and filter. If I power the pump, it will run for a few seconds, then slow to stop. I would think that without any fuel / pressure, the pump would run continuously until it burned up. What are your thoughts?

Just trying to confirm its dead or dying before I drop $350.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Don S: Another thing you can try when it stops, is to pull the fuel pump relay, jump the 30 and 87 terminals with a jumper wire and see if the pump will run (engine off) and listen to see if it fill the carb.

I am having similar issue, and have removed the lines and filter. If I power the pump, it will run for a few seconds, then slow to stop. I would think that without any fuel / pressure, the pump would run continuously until it burned up. What are your thoughts?

Just trying to confirm its dead or dying before I drop $350.
Matt, DonS passed away 4 years ago. You should start a new thread with your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.