Volvo 270D information required

wonger

Cadet
Hi, im thinking of viewing a 32 footer with twin ford fsd diesels with volvo 270D drives, i think the boat is around 1980, ive never before had an outdrive boat and was wondering if anyone could give me some history on the 270D drives, what max hp can they take? do they have any particular faults? will they have power trim and tilt? whats the difference between 270/280/290 ect? the ford fsd engines are 4 cyl/2.4ltr non turbo putting out around 60-70hp, if i buy this boat i would have to turbo the fsd's up to approx 100/120hp, would the volvo 270D handle this power?<br /><br />basically if you could give me as much information on volvo 270 drives as possible i would appreciate it!<br /><br />;-)<br /><br />thanks in advance

wonger

Cadet
Re: Volvo 270D information required

Hi, cheers for the link, and idea what the "D" means, im guessing its gear ratio?

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The 270 could handle closer to 225-250hp. I think there was a 225hp engine at one point.<br /><br />If they had faults, it's that not all that many mechanics know much about them. They are "almost" bulletproof. They do not have power trim, but do have power tilt.<br /><br />The differences in the 270/280/290 is basically the newer versions. The 270 was a basic drive, later came the 280. It had updated parts and later versions (285) had power steering(some units had hydraulic power trim).<br /><br />The 290 was the next step. It was a fully capable unit.(power steering, trim and tilt). It's updated again from the 280. It was the basis for the duoprop, which later became the (DP-E). capable of 300+HP Diesels.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> memory is muddy but there were some corrosion issues with the 270,280,290 due to the diesel exhaust being so acidic, seems they would corrode the drive inside the exhaustccavity. one ofcthe diesel drives years ago used a steel cone and a brass shoe for shift insead of the normal brass cone steel shoe. so farcthere are about 7 different shoe,cone combinations. I have a chart here someplace. but mostly the drive worked well.

wonger

Cadet

Thanks for the info, so it can be electrically tilted up for drying out ect, but it cant be electrically trimmed while underway<br /><br />but can it be trimmed manually with a pin like an outboard?<br /><br />i still cant find out what the "D" means?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

so it can be electrically tilted up for drying out ect, but it cant be electrically trimmed while underway
True.<br /><br />
can it be trimmed manually with a pin like an outboard?<br />
Yes<br /><br />
i still cant find out what the "D" means? <br />
It's just a model of the 270, has nothing to do with the gear ratio. Pull the prop off and the anode and look on the housing, the gear ratio is stamped on the bearing carrier under the anode. It may also be on the upper gear box on a metal plate.

wonger

Cadet

cheers don, your a real gem on here!<br /><br />;-)

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

your first step after buying the boat will be finding a guy that can work on them. they are a very simple drive, the biggest problem we see up here in the pacific northwest is wood sticking/jamming the reverse lockdown up, causing the legs to "kick up" when shifted to reverse. this lends itself to other related problems of spinning parts in a rubber bellows. all in all if corrosion isnt bad on the drive they are very reliable.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

The "D" is for the ratio of the gearbox reduction.<br /><br />Peter