Carb bowl fill with fuel (starting problem) and rebuild kit

hmoob_muas

Cadet
I have a 2003 Volvo Penta 3.0 GLM-B, SX drive. When I start the engine, it is hard to crank over and will not start. I assume that the carb is flooding (I was able to start it once the very first time after the boat sat. None thereafter). When looking down the carb, I do notice a pool of fuel spitting out after trying to crank the engine. I don't think that is normal, right? I did adjust the float and I'm still seeing fuel in the bowl.

My next step is to get a carb kit (Holley Carb) to see if that solve the issue. For some reason, I can't find the kit anywhere. When looking at the airhorn for the number, all I see is:

75028-1

Any suggestions as to what I should try to remediate the issue? The battery is also fully charged. Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Carb bowl fill with fuel (starting problem) and rebuild kit

When I start the engine, it is hard to crank over

What do you mean by "hard to crank over"? does it turn slow, not at all at times, what?

Do you have spark?

hmoob_muas

Cadet

The engine cranks but does not fire up completely. It just sputter. Yes there is spark. Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you use the throttle only position of the shifter control? You also need to pump the throttle a time or two before cranking, and also give it some throttle, like 1/4 throttle till it starts.

Glastron175

Seaman

If you decide to put in a carb kit, go to the Holley web site to order an official Holley renew kit. I have read others in this forum who have said that kits from Sierra often do not solve the carb problems.

hmoob_muas

Cadet

Do you use the throttle only position of the shifter control? You also need to pump the throttle a time or two before cranking, and also give it some throttle, like 1/4 throttle till it starts.

I also tried that too Don. I usually give the throttle two pump before cranking. In the past it engine fire right up just. But I also notice that if I give it a pump or two, it just add more fuel to the carb along with what is in there already.

Right now the spark plugs are wet (fuel) due to flooding. I'm pulling out the plugs so that it can dry.

hmoob_muas

Cadet

I called Holley and they reference me to Holley part #703-36 for the renew kit. Just more of an FYI.

Glastron175

Seaman

I ordered the -36 kit also and it did not have the float needle valve like the one in my carb. I lateer learned that my carb is a 500 CFM carb which calls for a -41 kit. I don't know what other differences are in the two kits. Be sure your carb is a 300 CFM before getting the -36 renew kit.