Volvo AQ 130 Starting Issues

CHARGER

Seaman
Hey Guys, I have the Volvo Penta AQ 130 in my boat and it was completely rebuilt 18 Hours ago and runs great and performs well but I have found it can be hard to start, having to crank it over about 5 or so times to get it started whether it be cold or warm any ideas? once its started it runs great.<br /><br />Cheers

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo AQ 130 Starting Issues

It's a Volvo 4 cylinder OHC engine, and Volvo never seen any reason for putting a choke on the carbs.<br />I also see by your bio that you are only 20 years old, and from that I would guess you have limited experience on how to start an engine that is carburated and not EFI.<br />With a carb and no choke, you have to pump it a few times to get it to go, also keep the throttle up while starting. Once it starts, keep the rpm up around 1500 rpm's till it warms up a bit then let it idle. Since there is no choke, you may have to pump the throttle a lot to get it to fire.<br />The Volvo 4 cyl OHC engines were also very touchy about having a good tuneup and every thing working properly and adjusted properly. Including timing, dwell, sparkplugs, etc.

CHARGER

Seaman

I actually have quiet alot of experience with carbys (not to sound rude) and in my experience with carby outboards and cars I have only needed a choke and pump fuel for a cold start but normally after that they start great every time after that. With the penta on a cold start I pump up the throttle a few times to put fuel in the carbys for a start but even then it isnt happy and takes 5 or more hits of the key till it fires up, and it does the exact same when the engine is warm this is the part I dont get.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Volvo rubber band engine. (aka OHC, 4 cylinder, with timing belt[the rubber band])<br />Like I said, if everything isn't exactly right on them (including the accelerator pumps) the are a bear to get started and keep running when cold.

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

when cold its not enough gas (too weak a mixture) thats the problem.. the extra pumping squirts neat fuel in and compensates for not having a choke.. a half open throttle or less would be the place to be when u turn the key.. then back it off when it fires up.. two or three shortish tries before it keeps running would be normal..<br /><br />when hot it might well be the opposite.. too rich a mixture.. do not pump the throttle at all just push it over to the fully open position and keep cranking the engine without letting the key go.. one longish try.. till it fires up then back it off quickly.. it should keep going<br /><br />it might not seem logical at first thought but holding the throttle wide open at slow cranking speeds actually weaken the mixure.. keeping it nearer the closed position richens it..<br /><br />trog100<br /><br />ps.. when u dont have a choke.. u pump neat gas in to the manifold with the accelerator pump.. each pump squirts some more in.. so basically u start off with too much.. as the engine cranks over air is introduced until the too rich mixure weakens off and the engine fires up.. this happens quickly.. when it does fire up the mixture weakens off too much and it dies on u at first.. after two or three goes things warm up a little and u manage to keep it going.. after three or four minutes at 1500 rpm it will then idle correctly.. when u dont have a choke there is no way round this one..

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

just for interest i have the choke backed off on my 3 litre merc so as it dosnt work.. i think its more trouble than its worth.. the engine might fire up first time but its almost impossible to keep it running without restarting it three or four times during the neccesssary three or four minutes needed before it will idle slowly and reliably enough for me to dare clunk my poor old dog clutch into gear and move off..<br /><br />i think i can see why volvo didnt bother with em..<br /><br />trog100

CHARGER

Seaman

Yeah I have no problems running mine after it finally kicks it just humms away even under 1000 revs very nicely when cold, Ill try some more techniques next time I take her out as saturday was my first voyage in it, thanks for the input guys appreciate it.