Looking for Trim relay schematic for 68 volvo outdrive 200

Volvophile

Cadet
For those of you who happened to catch my earlier post, I broke down and bought the goofy thing.<br /><br />So far the only thing that doesnt work is the electric lift for the sterndrive.<br /><br />The origional relays appeared to have failed and the previos owner did some *ahem* creative wiring to resolve the problem.<br /><br />I've been able to verifiy that the expensive part (lift motor) works by manually connecting the up & down wire to +12 vdc.<br /><br />Ive new relays, and have the down side wired and working. The upside is aluding me, and I'm trying to figure out if I have an open on that wire, or if there is some other secret handshake happening here.<br />Also there is a light next to the swithc, is this supposed to illuminate when the drive is going up or down, or just at random to look impressive? :D <br /><br />Anyone happen to have a schematic handy for this beast? I would assume that other than the relays themselves, the whole thing hasnt changed much in the last 37 years.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Looking for Trim relay schematic for 68 volvo outdrive 200

Here is the wiring diagram for the mechanical lift for the 280 drive, I have no idea if it's the same (I doubt it is) as the 200, but you're welcome to have a look at it.<br />Volvo doesn't even have a parts listing for the 200's anymore, so you're kind of "On Your Own" for parts.<br /><br />
Mech%20Lift%20wiring.png

Volvophile

Cadet

Thanks Don,<br />It looks like the motor side of the relays are different, thier set up to reverse the polarity to the motor using 2 leads, and on the 200 it looks like there is a common and a lead for the up winding and a lead for the down winding.<br />However the switch side of the relays are probably the same and will give me place to start.<br />Thanks again!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, believe it or not, I found the 200 service manual at work. You can order one from your Volvo dealer, it Volvo # 7719521-2 and has all the info on your 200 drive and transom shield.<br />It also has this wiring diagram.<br /><br /><br />
200%20Mech%20Lift%20Wiring.png

Volvophile

Cadet

Ah, that clarrifies things a bit.<br />I'll make a note of the part number, I think this motor is going to require some knuckle skin.<br /><br />Thanks

f_inscreenname

Commander

Be careful with those old tilt systems. You can put more money in them then they are worth. I went through 2 motors and a number of relays over two seasons. I finally got so fed up when I was trying to get the tilt out of the transom shield for more repairs. I ended up taking a claw hammer and chisel to it. Needless to say it never went back into the boat. I found a total intact tilt through a friend and installed it and haven't had a problem since. Those things remind me of Holly carburetors. When they work they give you no problems but once they break it never seems like they work right again.

Lancer23

Cadet

Hi, all. Great forum. My first posting.
Found this thread via the search feature, but it would appear that whatever schematics were part of the original thread, they have expired.
I have a Volvo 200 outdrive on my Chris Craft Lancer and, like the original poster, someone before me got creative with the wiring.
Does anyone have the original wiring schematic for the Volvo 200 outdrive tilt motor/drive??
All the schematics I can find are for motors with two spade connectors. Mine, again like the original poster's, has three.
Thanks in advance for your help.