Volvo 200 outdrive play in prob and other ?

Volvophile

Cadet
Hello,<br />I'm looking at buying a 1969 alumacraft with a Volvo AQ110/200. So far this site looks like the heavy hitter for online boating so I figured I'd ask my question here.<br /><br />I have a few classic volvo cars, so am reasonably familiar with the B18 that makes up the AQ110, but the outdrive is a new animal to me.<br />What issues should I be looking for on this I/O?<br />All the external seals look sound, and the whole unit is solid on the transom (no rot hopefully)<br />I did find that the prop has a little play on the prop shaft (about 1-2 degrees worth). How bad of news is this?<br />Is it just wear in the prop hub or are the shafts a weekspot on these lower units?<br />Or does the cone just need to be tightened down?<br /><br />Thanks for all of your input, and if anyone has any information to pass on regarding a 69 alumacraft/alpex sea-aira, that would be great to.

tommays

Admiral
Re: Volvo 200 outdrive play in prob and other ?

Volvo<br /><br />there really are not any sterndrives from 1969 that will not be a big problem no matter who made them<br /><br />hard to take apart from age and hard to get parts<br /><br />tommays

whywhyzed

Banned

I have a 200 drive behind my ultrarare Volvo B36B (the 3.6L volvo v8). Mine's a 1964. <br />I have heard mixed reviews of the 200. Behind your 110 HP I'd think it would be fine. the real difference between the 200 and a more modern 280 drive is straight cut gears in the 200 making it a bit noisier.<br />As I understand, a 280 would be a direct bolt up fit(as long as it's the same gear ratio).<br />That prop play sounds pretty much normal.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Hystat, welcome to iboats!<br /><br />Volvo made a V8 in the sixties? I googled it and only came up with your old posts from other sites. Got any pics? Was it marine only or also in their cars?<br /><br />Aldo

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

As I understand, a 280 would be a direct bolt up fit
While the drives work and look similar, there are enough differences in parts that you cannot install a 280 outdrive on a 200 transom shield, it just ain't gonna happen.

Volvophile

Cadet

BTW, I found a good cheatsheet for volvo penta engines:<br /> http://www.marysvillemarine.com/catalog/cat_p106-130.pdf <br /><br />Its a catalog for marine parts distributors, so I dont think they can sell to "just anyone"<br />but the part numbers and the year-make matrix is pretty handy.<br />So far from that I've been able to determine the difference between an AQ110 and AQ120 is the dual Side-draft solexs on the 120.<br />So now i got to find a prop for a AQ120/200 at 6500+ ft elevation, instead of a 110/200.

whywhyzed

Banned

Volvo made a V8 in the sixties?
Sorry to highjack this thread, but yes..The original B36 (3.6L) was developed by Volvo in the early 50's for the Volvo Philip, a luxury car that never made it past the concept phase. Then the B36A was used for truck and marine applications. I have 1 of probably less than 20 surviving penta AQ180's which = B36B 180HP twin carb 5000 RPM version of the B36

Dunaruna

Admiral

I love learning new stuff like that - thanks hystat.<br /><br />Aldo

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I am a Volvo and a Marysville dealer. <br /><br />Volvo Still has some parts for those older engines. There are very few parts manuals still available. If you need something email me with your list. Marysville is a distributor, but they do not have a large inventory of the older products.