2002 5.0GXi Volvo Penta Four Winns 225 Sundowner

23thorpecircle

Recruit
I am interested in buying a 225 FW Sundowner w/a 5.0 GXi VP. I was told the manifolds and risers were flushed July 2010.
What is the life of these in salt water and how do I determine if they are close to or need replacement?
How long should they last, th eboat is in GREAT condition and very welll cared for.
Is this a pricy job and what should it run me if I have them replaced.

Thanks, Nick

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 0

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2002 5.0GXi Volvo Penta Four Winns 225 Sundowner

I am interested in buying a 225 FW Sundowner w/a 5.0 GXi VP. I was told the manifolds and risers were flushed July 2010.
What is the life of these in salt water and how do I determine if they are close to or need replacement?
How long should they last, th eboat is in GREAT condition and very welll cared for.
Is this a pricy job and what should it run me if I have them replaced.

Thanks, Nick

I dunno what they mean by "flushed". I assume the boat is salt water boat? I think they say 5 yrs is avg age for salt water manifold and risers IF the boat is flushed after every use. If you neglect the flushing part I bet they can fail in a year or two. I have have about 6 yrs on mine and they are due and I am super religious about flushing. As far as I know the only way to inspect them is to remove the riser. I do all my own labor and the manifold kit was about 600 I think, I would expect several hours (maybe 2-3) to do job, so I bet about a grand total. Lots of pros on here and I am sure somebody can chime in.