Volvo Penta AQ170a Water Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy2k

Recruit
Hello. I'll just brought out my boat after 8 years and fired it up. Engine is running ok, but the water pump is filled with rust and is stuck so ill need to replace it. Is there someone selling a complete pump to this engine or know where ill cand find one?

Billy2k

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta AQ170a Water Pump

The Volvo Penta Online Store is only accessible to visitors located in the United States**. Please contact your local dealer for information concerning Genuine Volvo Penta parts. Rebuild, you should take a look at this pump.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the pump made out of brass (not 100% on the AQ170 though...), but if thta'ts the case, you really can polish it to a finish like new. Might be worth a try before buying a new pump. Bring out a rotary steel brush.

I did that with mine (AQ171C) a few years back. Pump really looked like new.

Billy2k

Recruit

Yeah, maybe ill could give it a try. Ive got the "steel impeller" or what to call it inside the water pump housing loose now and its running. But still the engine is heating up. It blows water through the engine at idle, but as soon as ill give it trottle it stops. So maybe ill have to check out the raw water pump, or maybe the thermostat? But really the water pump isn't perfect, its looking horrible inside of rust but maybe as i said it could be the raw water pump or the thermostat.

Maclin

Admiral

Billy, I think the part# floated earlier is for the sea water pump. I believe the part# for the AQ170A engine circulating pump is 831742. I saw one list price at $1385.81 ouch.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Billy,
No idea where you are located, but agree with others that you can polish the sea/raw water pump (if brass, which I am almost 100 is is). If it looks rusty on the inside, might just be minerals and salt in the water if it has been sitting for that long.

If nearby, there's a complete AQ170 engine for sale here in Seattle. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/2526594117.html
Makes for cheap parts, if nothing else.

Maclin

Admiral

Wellcraft, his engine water circulating pump is the rusty one with the problems he described, not the seawater pump.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

True, sorry. Missed the part number. :-(

Engine (no affiliation to seller) might still be a good deal for someone looking for parts for a straight-6 Volvo (we used to have those in the military 4x4 vehicles in Sweden, where it constantly was running warm, even if it was -35F outside...).

Billy2k

Recruit

Thanks for your replies everybody. You see, my english isn't top notch but i'll have a new update for you. Yes it was the circulation pump that ill needed new because it is so rusty, but I have managed to remove most of the rust and got it going. So then the next thing I did yesterday was to open the sea water pump, with the rubber impeller inside, actually it didnt look to bad. But then ill discovered an unpleaseant thing. I have recently changed out the engine oil and the filter, and to my surprise it was much water that have mixed with the oil, so thats maybe why ill dont get enough cooling on my engine? Maybe its the state seal that needs to be changed out?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

http://www.marinepartseurope.com
What year boat?
Fill out the profile.No way we can tell where you are.
Oil in the water?? Could be the oil cooler is bad.Possible frozen at one time.
Manifold/riser bad.

Billy2k

Recruit

Im from Norway, but im not sure the year of my engine but it should be around 69-71 i guess. Okey, I got tired of speculations, so yesterday I took the engine out of the boat, and in to my garage, and started to dismantle it. And now ill know why ill didn't get proper cooling. The cooling system was filled with rust everywhere and almost plugged several places. The cooling channels in the engine block as well was teared up with rust. But I think if i clean all of the rust away that the engine will go for some more years, because the cylinders and pistons didnt look to bad.

Here is a picture of the engine:
View attachment 106964

rockypond

Cadet

Hello everyone , I have purchased a 1975 glastron with twin AQ170B engines . I am in the process of rebuilding them . I would like to know if there is anyone who rebuilds water circulating pumps for these engines ,or explain how I could do this and where to purchase the rebuild kit for them.thanks for your help, rockypond

Status
Not open for further replies.