2002 5.7 Volvo Penta Running just above 180 degrees, is that too hot?

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
2002 Ebbtide 23 cuddy, Volvo Penta 5.7 GXI-A, Duo prop sterndrive. Temp gauge shows about or just above 180 degrees while running wide open. I changed impeller and T-stat, temp is still the same, should it be that high? If not, what else could be causing hi-temp?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2002 5.7 Volvo Penta Running just above 180 degrees, is that too hot?

Could be the sender or the guage.Loose connection?
Are the manifolds too hot to touch?Does it go down as you slow down?
You ever overheat the motor?
Get a heat gun and check the actual temps.J

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Running just above 180 degrees, is that too hot?

If that is more than you normally run, YES, it's too hot.

Get an IR temp gun and verify that the engine is actually as hot as the gauge shows.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

It used to always run around 170, last weekend alarm sounded and the computer cut the power, boat was towed back in to prevent further damage. So this past Tuesday I changed impeller and T-Stat, T-stat had some crud on it, impeller looked o.k. but I replaced it anyway. Yesterday I checked temp with IR, it was reading 180 at T-stat while dash gauge was reading about 185. I pulled some hoses at T-stat housing, 1 at a time, and started engine for 1 second each time, strong water pressure shot out each time. I put hoses back on and went for a ride, it ran up over 180 again and went back down, some short time after throttling back down. Starboard riser seemed to have higher temp than port riser. I'm not seeing something here, what am I missing?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You should remove the risers and check them and see if they are clogged up, and the manifolds too.
Do you run in saltwater much?

mjalstad

Cadet

Where'd you get the thermostat from? I would imagine if you got it from a marine place it should be a fairly low temp, like 140 or 160, but if you just went to Napa or something, it's probably going to be more of an automotive temperature which would probably be 180 or 192. The thermostat should have the temp stamped on it. I would try a new thermostat and verify that it is the correct temperature thermostat before trying anything else.

JRF

Recruit

I've never tried it but read of putting the t-stat in water on the stove with a thermometer and heating it to verify what temp it will open ... then there is no question of temp range or defectiveness

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer

This boat hasn't been in salt water yet, the t-stat came from a Volvo Penta parts dept.