Volvo Penta 3.0GS MWTR troubleshoot: no idle, no power, and black sooty spark plugs

MNBrent

Seaman Apprentice
Been dealing with this now for the last few trips to the lake. Difficult to get on plane, no hole shot power, dies on idle, and plugs end up sooty and black or full of gas. To restart on the lake, I have to take out of gear, and give it 50% throttle and turn it until it starts to catch. It used to fire right over with zero throttle every time for the last few years!

The motor fires up and runs good without misses in the driveway on the muffs once I clean the plugs up. Sometimes it will idle but most of the time it will still die in the driveway at idle.

I have all new gas (non-oxy) presently and run a full can of Seafoam in every tank this year. Ive ran through 3 tanks of this already this year. I put marine stabilizer in the fuel before storage last fall. Stored in my semi-heated garage so no freezing occurs. Stays at about 35-40degrees all winter.

Have new cap-rotor-plugs and wires and cleaned up the distributor center electrode metal (under the rotor) that the rotor mounts to. Will get the EST tool to check timing. Plugs are the same NGK BPR6EFS I had for 3 yrs and look beautiful once cleans up.

Checked compression on a cold engine and had:
1 - 170PSI
2 - 155PSI
3 - 150PSI
4 - 170PSI
I think these numbers are good and are within the magic 15% of each other as the VP manual states.

I'm rebuilding my carb as I have no power and everything else seems to be checking out.

See link:http://www.volvopentastore.com/Carburetor-Service-Kits/dm/*******.423977288--**********.372870517--store_id.366--view_id.783383

What is the correct kit for a full carb rebuild?
Or is it better to just find a Holley equivalent?
Also any tribal knowledge on best practice for these kits?

Appreciate any advice on the carb kit.

Brent.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 3.0GS MWTR troubleshoot: no idle, no power, and black sooty spark plu

If you can find the proper Holly carb kit for your carb other than OEM, go for it For some reason, Volvo and Merc seem to think their kits are worth 3-4 times as much as anyone else, but have less parts in them.