End caps on SX-M hydraulic trim cylinders; do they keep out corrosion?

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have one missing; two come off with no effort at all. It looks like someone half heartedly filled a part of them with black silicone when installing. The other one had a half moon of cracking rubber peeling off.

Running in fresh water only; how much will these poorly sealed caps impede me from disassembling my entire drive at the end of this season, or should they all be replaced right now?

Clips and hardware underneath all look nice and clean. Pretty sure any corrosion concerns would be on the shaft to slip them off. Could warming them up and spraying liquid penetrant on the shafts make life easier during teardown?

Thanks!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: End caps on hydraulic trim rams; do they keep out corrosion?

Most caps and covers are for cosmetics only and do little in the way of protection.
Spray silicone or white lithium on the shafts will make the seals last longer and help the drive go up and down easier.
The seals dry out and can actually sieze the shafts.Making it very hard to operate the drive.J

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Can you post a picture of these end caps? I'm not following what you are saying. What outdrive are we talking about?

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry Don....duh that would help, huh.

It's a '99 3.0 GS motor, with SX-M outdrive.

I'm referrring to the end caps on the hydraulic trim rams. I'm attempting to upload a pic' from work...hopefully it works.

Thanks!

Attachments

• caps.JPG
    caps.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 0

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They do have a purpose. The snap rings (#7) that hold the cylinders to the pin (#3) can break. If they do, those caps keep the pieces of the snap ring in place so the pin doesn't come out and get lost.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK then it's probably time to order 4 caps. Two of my remaining three will come off with very slight finger pressure. Actually, I think there's enough slack in them that if the clip broke, it would come out anyway, cap or no.
Thanks Don!