volvo 125 cooling

Merc_115

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i feel dumb but realized im not pumping water, the rad thing in front is full of green antifreeze, no circulation out exhaust, please help? muffs on and no circulation and antifreeze still in exchanger or whatever on top of motor, maybe a closed loop deal? clearly not circulating out manifold and exhaust, please help 125/270 1983

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: volvo 125 cooling

It is a closed system

How old is the impeller, and what is the conditition of the water neck at the top of the intermediate section of the drive?

Merc_115

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it all was supposed to be replaced, looks fine, and i hooked hose to inlet hose in engine and it pumps water, just doesnt seem to when muffs hooked to outdrive, hoses on outdrive look new and tight

sqbtr

Plug the hole in the bottom of the drive. Double check the water neck it may look OK but be corroded from the inside out

Merc_115

Petty Officer 3rd Class

did that as well, taped it, my muffs only have water on 1 side, im thinking not enough, cause took hose kloose on inlet side in motor comp, it pumps water out exhaust and it filled up the screen reservoir thing in front of engine

Merc_115

Petty Officer 3rd Class

have a friend here now he thinks we put it in water it will pump, but how am i to know when cant see exhaust, i guess just watch guage?

sqbtr

Maybe it's plugged. run water from eng to drive to make sure it's clear

Merc_115

Petty Officer 3rd Class

we did and water poured out drive, seems wierd i know, only conclusion i have is muffs not enough, what temp should be normal 180? or when should i shut it down at what temp,. we gonna go put it on the water, also the other cap out front is filles with antifreeze, so im assuming it closed system as well as raw?

sqbtr

The raw water cools the heat exchanger and the exhaust, These engines run a little hotter than most marine engines I wouldn't start to worry till it goes over 190, 170-180 is normal

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Stenny, you should start another post.
Include stuff like what your working on and what you've done?
Year, model etc.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
I got tired of muff experiments years ago.
Put the outdrive in a large plastic bin which can keep water up to the cavitation plate.
Put a quart of water into the strainer and close the lid.
This helps prime the pump.
Start the engine.

If your system is good or excellent, this will work.
If you have a problem somewhere, this will not work and you are not ready for the lake/river/ocean.