270 outdrive removal question

SouthTexan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello All,

I am preparing to remove my AQ125A and 270 outdrive for a transom repair and am a bit confused by the Volvo workshop manual. The way I read the outdrive removal instructions, it sounds to me like the upper and intermediate housings have to come apart? Is this correct? I was under the impression that the entire outdrive assembly could be removed as a single unit. I searched the forums but came up empty. I am headed out to the boat now to look it over but any help would be appreciated.

Finally, I am assuming the drive needs to be fully lowered to remove it, correct?

ETA: This is off a 1983 Glastron Conroy X17.

Thanks!

captmello

Captain
Re: 270 outdrive removal question

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309095

use this thread to help. But don't unbolt the upper gear box. In addition to the steps in the link, you'll need to remove the pivot pins on either side of the drive. remove the pin retaining bolts and drive the pins out using a brass drift. the pins are soft, using brass helps to not damage them. Drive them in toward the center of the outdrive, turning the steering helmet one way or the other so the pins don't hit them as they come out.

Disconnect the shift cable, and the exhaust bellows and it should be free to remove. I built a rolling outdrive stand for easy roll in, roll out removal.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?
p=2258649

Don't be afraid to ask more questions.;)

SouthTexan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 270 outdrive removal question

Thanks! Turns out that the removal was super simple, just a classic case of me overthinking things. had the manual in front of me but not the boat, so I was a bit confused on some details. However, after pulling the drive out I found some bad news:

IMAG0416.jpg

IMAG0415.jpg

Not too surprising based on the PO's care-taking of the boat. Looks like it's time for new u-joints and such. Well, we all know what boat stands for....