Volvo Penta 5.7 GI Quits after you throttle up. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have Twin volvo penta 5.7 GI-D MPI's in a 2003 Monterey 322. I believe I got some bad fuel. Just got the boat and put a few hours on it my first weekend and filled up with gas in both tanks. I put about 200 Liters/65 gallons in each tank. Left from the fill up and one engine starting backfiring so headed back to the dock and the other engine started doing the same thing. Parked it at the marina where I filled up and it's still there to this day. The marina is an hour and a half drive away so it makes it difficult to troubleshoot when it's not right here. Volvo penta dealer said ithey are backed up for atleast two weeks before they could travel to see it. Took the fuel filter off, emptied it and it did have some water in it. I have since replaced the fuel filters on both engines, and added in fuel/water seperators to each engine. Now the engines will start up and idle ,but give them a rev in neutral they will rev for a second and then the engine will die. A mistake I made may give someone out there a clue as to my problem as well. The mistake was I took of the stock filter , emptied it, carried on installing the fuel/water seperator. By mistake, I started the engine without installing the original spin on fuel filter and let the engine idle for a few minutes and no fuel came out where the filter should be. I thought it should have been pouring out. Thoughts? Seems like they are starving for fuel. Very strange that both engines are doing the exact same thing.

Re: Volvo Penta 5.7 GI Quits after you throttle up. Any help would be greatly appreci

Something else I forgot to mention was that the smoke coming from the exhaust, strong smell of fuel and you can see fuel in the water at the rear of the boat when running. This tells me it's running rich for some reason.

Re: Volvo Penta 5.7 GI Quits after you throttle up. Any help would be greatly appreci

Well I tested the fuel pressures tonight. Starboard engine running really rough, but good pressures, low 12 psi while the pump cycles then drops back to zero when the pump shuts off. High fuel pressure was 55 psi. Port engine had no low pressure and high pressure was 50 psi. Low pressure pump cycles when you turn the key on and can feel it running with your hand while the engine is running but just no pressure. Still backfires while under load, would the lack of low pressure fuel pump cause this? The port engine also sounds like is sucking a pile of air, even while idling. It's has a considerably louder hissing noise coming from it, to the point it damn near drowns out the other running engine. I checked all around the engine for any sort of leaks but no luck. Any ideas why this would be occuring? Thank you in advance.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

There has been a lot of problems with GI motors lately and most of them are fuel related stuck injectors....plugged fuel lines....all seem centered around fuel issues. Id almost be willing to bet that the alcohol fuel blending that we see as of lately has much to do with this issue. That is the alcohol gasoline mix is far higher than it is supposed to be. You may want to clean and inspect the entire fuel delivery system from the tanks to the injectors themselves...Do a search here on GI PEFS FUEL the central issue is always fuel.

Thanks for the info Don and Tail_Gunner. I have a volvo rep travelling to come and hook up a diagnostics reader to see what that will tell me. Do those code readers give much for info or just check some basics out? Does it seem right that the fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds but doesn't build pressure? You would think it would give some sort of pressure. Thanks again

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Does it seem right that the fuel pump runs for a couple of seconds but doesn't build pressure?

I thought you posted you had good pressure till I re-read it and found you detailed how the good engine runs ....................

If you don't have fuel pressure, it's not going to run.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

High fuel pressure was 55 psi.........Way to high

Port engine had no low pressure and high pressure was 50 psi...........Big Problem there.. to high on the high side... and no pressure from the low that supplies the high rail??? The high prssure line seems to be plugged from the throttle body down meaning your TB is plugged up too

"Begins here"....I believe I got some bad fuel. Just got the boat and put a few hours on it my first weekend and filled up with gas in both tanks. I put about 200 Liters/65 gallons in each tank. Left from the fill up and one engine starting backfiring so headed back to the dock and the other engine started doing the same thing.

Sounds like your plugged up from the low pressure side to the high side and more than probably the injectors Check out Dons link very closely