volvo 4.3 penta 2002 quits runnning

rogere

Recruit
Hello
First post so thanks in advance.
Yesterday at the lake set off without any problem , out swimming for about 3 hours and pulled anchor to set off and the boat (2002 Glastron GX 185) stalls and quits running. Try to restart and engine starts and shuts off. Check lanyard remove and replaced same result.

One tow, $553.00 and 24 hours later in the driveway we check the fuel pump-no gas. Power and ground to fuel pump were working. Fuel pump removed and checked with extra battery in the garage and it pumps perfectly. Fuel filter not clogged. Put fuel pump back in boat and the boat runs fine in the driveway, Any suggestions? We are Considering replacing the fuel pump and relay as we don't have an explination for what happened yesterday or first thing this morning and not really comfortable going out again without an explination.

Thanks in advance
Roger

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo 4.3 penta 2002 quits runnning

Perhaps you have a fuel pickup tube in the fuel tank plugged up, or cracked and sucking air, or a bad antisiphon valve. Or loose clamps on the gas lines to the tank, or leaky filter gasket or..........

rogere

Recruit

Hi Don

Thanks for the reply. Inspected the fuel tank, lines, filters all are intact. Not exactly certain about the antisiphon valve but I would like to hear more about it . How probable is it that the fuel pump would stop working on the lake and again the following morning (as I have assumed because we had no fuel flow when we disconnected it before removing it and checking it in the garage where it worked fine when tested and again when returned to the motor.
We were initally considering replacing the fuel pump and the relay before reading your response. Is the antisiphon valve "going bad" fairly common? The antisiphon valve is that something that could/would stick closed and open up at a later time without any specific intervention on our part? This would explain why it ran well yesterday afternoon when were able to start and run the motor without any problem.

Thanks again

Roger

Don S

When it doesn't run, do you have spark? Does the accelerator pump fuel?

rogere

Recruit

Hi Don

Yes we have/had a spark because it would start and shut off again. No the accelerator pump didn't pump fuel. Any thoughts?

Thanks Roger

rogere

Recruit

hi don been working on this boat , i do not like the alternator powering the fuel pump relay , all the alternator has to do is stop charging for 20 seconds and the engine will stop running , no power to fuel pump relay . i like the merc system better with the oil switch . seams like a lot of people with this system have the same no fuel problem , what happened was he started it took off got about 150 ft and it shut off , enough gas in carb , then you would have to crank a while to get gas to carb , with the starter by pass to fuel pump relay . thanks

jagrmeister

Cadet

This may be of big help to me so please fill me in. Here is my problem, which sounds real close to yours: I mistakingly wired bank #2 battery reverse. While on the water, utilizing bank #1, I decided to switch to bank #2 and smoked the whole bilge. After replacing the battery selector switch and the batteries, it will start fine and run for a moment then just go dead. I can do this over and over and over with the same results on my volvo penta 4.3 gl. Is this the same as you and if so, how did you diagnose and fix it?

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those anti-siphon valves do go bad and can behave differently when things get hot. The impedance of a corroded electrical connector can also rise with heat. And how old is your fuel filter?

You might want to start with the inexpensive parts first when looking to replace fuel system components: Fuel filter, anti-siphon valve, then fuel pump. You can swap fuel sources and use a portable tank to diagnose a fuel pick-up problem. Just don't use an open container of gas that can slosh around.

rjd75

Cadet

You'll be happy to know I have been experiecing this same problem with my Volvo 4.3 for the life of my boat, usually happens once or twice a season. The first time it happened the dealer charged me to pickup my boat, charged me to diagnose the problem and told me I had blown a fuse. I knew this was not the case because I had checked all of the fuses and they obviously could not find the problem and were looking for a way to justify billing me for the repair. Led to a big argument but that's another story.

The past two years it did not happen to me at all after about 5 years of having it as an annual event. Then the past two weekends it has let me down two weekends in a row which led me to search the net and see if there were any discussions and low and behold I found this one. Let me tell you, I have done a lot short of replacing the fuel pump - replaced the anti-siphon, replaced the relay, replace the fuel filter many times, re-routed my vent line, checked the fuel pickup for cracks or debris. I have found nothing wrong. If it happens -it always happens when taking off, motor just runs out gas. I have noticed it is more likely to happen on hot humid days but that could just be a coincidence. My solution is to pull the relay and jump the contacts to prime the fuel system again. If this does not work, it usually mean the fuel filter is low and I have to remove it and top it up with gas, jump the relay and away I go. Since it let me down twice already this year, I am thinking about just installing a primer bulb on the fuel line from my antisiphon valve to the filter, that way I can just squeeze the primer bulb to top up the filter. Not the ideal solution, but better than bobbing around on the lake and messing with the fuel filter with wife and 3 kids on board. Sound like the solution is to somehow power the fuel pump through the battery vs running off the alternator. This is interesting as I was not aware it worked this way..

Don S

Do not add a primer bulb, If all you want is a way to get home, just make yourself a jumper wire with a couple of male spade terminals on the end. Then removed the fuel pump relay, and jump between 30 and 87. You will have to remove the wire to shut the fuel pump off, even with the ignition switch off.

Attachments

• Volvo Fuel pump wiring dia..jpg
    Volvo Fuel pump wiring dia..jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2

rjd75

Cadet

Thanks, that is exactly what I do, but sometimes the fuel filter has half of the fuel siphoned out of it and the fuel pump will not pump fuel until you top up the filter. When you jump the relay you can hear the pump making a high pitch wine and even if I hold it there for a while it does not pump fuel. As soon I top up the fuel filter and jumper it the pump makes a different sound and pumps fuel immediately. I have been avoiding swapping out the pump as I don't want to waste money if the pump works, however some posts I have read indicate that the pump was faulty and replacing it solved the problem.

Don S

You can't siphon fuel out of a fuel filter, The inlet and outlet are ABOVE the filter, gas is not going to jump up to the fitting.
My guess is you have a small air leak between the tank and the filter.

rjd75

Cadet

Don't want to hijack the thread here but I believe this is all related so will continue on.. Interesting theory, in that case should the pump be able to continue pumping fuel with the filter only half full? There is not much there in terms of connections.. The anti siphon valve is threaded in to the tank and then there is a short fuel line from the barb on the anti siphon up to the fuel filter, double clamped on each side. Guess I can check connections, replace hose and put more pipe dope on antisiphon. One thing to note is I always unscrew the fuel cap when it happens to see if there is any suction in the tank but it spins open freely. i guess that would rule out air being sucked in from the tank?

After reading your fuel system tests post, should I replace that short line with a clear line and look for air bubbles?

rogere

Recruit

the jumper wire at the relay sounds good , unless the pump is bad. i am going to take the anti siphon valve out and check it. the system running the relay off the alternator looks prone to problems, i also found the alternator belt very loose , if the alternator does not spin the fuel pump relay will not work ,and the fuel pump will stop , lots of people seam to have problems with this system .