Volvo SX outdrive trim sensor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

annapolis

Cadet
I have a Volvo Penta system with SX outdrive. I'm trying to figure out where the trim sensor is on the outdrive that sends the reading to the gauge. The outdrive is trimming up and down fine, but the needle on my analog trim gauge is jumping all around. I'm thinking the sensor might just be stuck, but I can't seem to find it (or a detailed schematic of the SX outdrive). Can anyone help me with where the sensor is on the SX outdrive? and even thoughts on what to check? thanks!

saintlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Volvo SX outdrive trim sensor?

the trim sensor on an sx is located on the starboard side of the bell housing. looks like a 2 inch black or grey disk.
2 screws in slotted holes (for adjustment) hold it in place. turn wheel all the way left to gain access. there are 2 wires coming out and go thru the transum assembly.
the wires have a potted gromet that seal it in the transum with a clip on the inside to secure it. usually need a mirror to see the clip.
check other posts for diagram. i know they have been posted before.

saintlee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

here is the diagram
hope it opens

Attachments

• Transom%20Shield%20SX1.jpg
    Transom%20Shield%20SX1.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 97

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is a link that shows how to replace the sender, along with testing and adjusting.

Attachments

• SX Trim Sender Replace.pdf
    521.3 KB · Views: 255

annapolis

Cadet

Thanks much for the detailed testing instructions. I believe I have a bad sender. Now I'm trying to determine proper part number. I've read some of the prior threads discussing the new part numbers, but still confused. I have a 2000 5.7L GSi with SX outdrive. The number on my part reads 3855074. could someone help me with what the new part number for this is?

Don S

Numbers change, that's why you go to a parts look up program, not old posts. 3849411 is the pn for the single station sender.

Gernot

Recruit

Same testing procedure for the sensor 21484383 on my SX-A Drive (Built 2008) ?

Tx

Last edited:

annapolis

Cadet

Thanks Don.

Do you mind me asking what site you use to look this up? I was on the Volvo Penta site, but can't see where you could search for outdrive parts. All I could see is a search by my engine type / parts, but not for my SX-M drive.

Kurt

Don S

I use this site http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/vp_sch_fs.html to look up parts. It has the notes that tell you things like single station and dual station. Then you get the number and plug it into their part number lookup and it will give you the newest number.

annapolis

Cadet

Regarding the Part number for replacement. Apparently, there's a 2-wire and 3-wire replacement for my model. Does anyone know what the third wire is for (i.e., what is the difference between the 2 parts). I'm asking because I get two different answers from different parts dealers.

3849411 - is the 3-wire replacement part number
3594989 - is the 2-wire replacement part number

One dealer told me that the 3-wire was for digital displays and the 2-wire is for analog displays. If this is true, then I would need the 2-wire part because I have the analog display. Another dealer told me the 3-wire part was if you had a button to adjust the trim somewhere other than the throttle.

Anyone know the real answer?

If I need the 2-wire sensor, will the 3-wire sensor work (just without using the 3rd wire)? Believe it or not, the 2-wire part is cheaper.

Kurt

Don S

Either will work, look at that .pdf file I posted earlier. It shows both and how to wire them.

Believe it or not, the 2-wire part is cheaper.
PS I think you meant the 3 wire is cheaper than the 2 wire.

lt4247

Cadet

Don S,

I have spent an hour looking for the right part number to get to replace my trim position sensor. I have the old 3855074 which has broken wires (3) in a 1999 Volvo 4.3 SX.

Can you please plug in my serial number and tell me which part number to order?

Motor: 4110167984
Drive: 4112058566
Plate: 4111588046

Any help greatly appreciated. There is no Volvo dealer nearby me....

hckrphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this is an old thread.... but any chance you still have the "SX Trim Sender Replace.pdf" file? I'm going to be replacing my 2 wire trim senders with 3 wires.

Thanks!
Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.