83 volvo penta aq125a timing help

getinchewd

Cadet
the timing belt wore out, have it apart and going to install the new belt. lost my manuel and no one has one in stock around my area, can someone explain to me how to set up the timing properly..thanks!!!

johnmorgan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 83 volvo penta aq125a timing help

there is lines on the new belt that you need to line up with the three pulleys, there should be a notch or tiny dot on the three pulleys, all three must be in line with the lines on the belt. then you use a timing light to adjust the timing also make sure your motor is at top dead center when you put the new belt on, by lining up the notch on your crank shaft pulley

getinchewd

Cadet

is cylinder 1 twords the front of the boat or is it at the back of the boat?? 1342

coronatrophy

Cadet

There arent any marks on the belt. You line up all the pulleys with their corresponding marks, (cam gear has a dot that lines up on the head, crank at tdc and another one for the balance shaft. Put the belt on and add tension with the tensioner...****ROTATE THE ENGINE A FEW TIMES TO MAKE THE MARKS STILL LINE UP PROPERLY***....when everything is lined up, this is a good time to make sure the distributor is pointing at #1. Also, #1 is at the front of the boat and #4 is in the back.

getinchewd

Cadet

thank you all for your feedback verry helpfull!! the belt is on, i am putting the rest of the parts i took off back on tomarrow and testing!! thank you don s, you are a life saver for that link!! made life sooo much easier!!

coronatrophy

Cadet

There most certainly are marks on new belts.

whether there are or not, the marks on the belt are irrelevant......as long as the crank, cam and balance shaft are where they need to be "if" there are marks on the belt it doesn't matter.

getinchewd

Cadet

ok so i lined up the cam, crank and balancer? pullys as per manuel rotated motor everything lines up......when everything was aligned properly the distributor head was on the notch that is marked on there but not pointing at #1 but close..... put it back together and no start but backfiring out of carb....question....the head of the rotor when everything is aligned points almost to the #1 spark plug but the wire that is on there is #4??? can anyone properly explain when it rotates it should go according to firing order??

coronatrophy

Cadet

If the cam, and crank are lined up , then the distrubutor needs to be pointed at #1. You need to switch the wires around and put them in the right order....sorry but I dont know the firing order off hand, but it should be easy to find if you do a quick search.