volvo penta sx outdrive with a 5.0 gi unfamiliar noise from lower unit

mrbill812

Seaman Apprentice
Ok I'm guessing I already know the answer and what needs to be done, but I just bought a used glastron gx 205 with 97 hours on the engine and although it is a 10 year old boat, it looks like new. I hear noises coming from the lower unit I'm sure during idle and slow speed, once I get the boat planned out I can trim to make the noise quiet until I make a turn and then I have noise again.

this boat was owned by a surgeon who didn't really take it out much, it was being maintained by a auto repair shop. So I have concerns that the lower unit has ever been removed and the u joints, gimball greased and inspected. I've never owned a volvo penta drive, always mercruisers, and I've been told they are noisy drives, and that the high five stainless prop on the boat could be causing my issue also. I hate taking this in during the middle of our very short boating season in Colorado, but I don't want to make things worse. Any advice would be useful at this point, and anyway to isolate the problem before taking it in the shop which I'm sure will be a long wait.

thanks, mrbill

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta sx outdrive with a 5.0 gi unfamiliar noise from lower unit

If you aren't sure about the maintenance, pull the drive and have a look.
If you think the problem is the prop, put a standard 3 blade on it and give it a run.

There's no way we can do anything but guess at what the noise is or where it coming from. Use your ears and listen.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where do you live in CO? I've pulled a few Volvo SX drives before, and know what to look for inside.

mrbill812

Seaman Apprentice

I live in Fort Collins and store/use my boat up at Horsetooth Reservoir. The boat was purchased local at the glastron dealer outside of Johnston/Loveland and I'm going to call them today to set up an appt. I am really happy with this boat as far as performance layout etc.... but the old buyer beware sign is flashing now. I ran the boat with ears before purchasing, inspected it closely from bow to stern, checked out the trailer really closely, and no signs of anything that concerned me. Should have had a test ride on the water before laying down the cash. I was excited about the low hours and condition of this boat, I figured what could possibly be wrong with such low hours! I'm guessing this will be a $1k mistake, but I did plan on having someone go through it at the end of the season anyway.
thanks for the replies!
mrbill

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's likely to be a gimbal bearing, and possible the ujoints also, depending on water intrusion. If you can get the drive off and on, a new bearing is about $65, and Merc's and More will remove and install a new one for $100 labor while you wait. You can also inspect the ujoints and drive bellows while the drive is off. If you drop it off at a dealer, you may find a way to hit the magic $1,000 mark.

mrbill812

Seaman Apprentice

It's likely to be a gimbal bearing, and possible the ujoints also, depending on water intrusion. If you can get the drive off and on, a new bearing is about $65, and Merc's and More will remove and install a new one for $100 labor while you wait. You can also inspect the ujoints and drive bellows while the drive is off. If you drop it off at a dealer, you may find a way to hit the magic $1,000 mark.

Thanks Leardriver! where is Merc's and More? Sounds like that would be worth a trip south to save some bucks. As it stands the glastron dealer is 2 weeks out IF I bring my boat in on a first come first serve basis? WT_ ? So my boat sits out in the open for two weeks..... not happening. So I am open to suggestions. I have another local dealer that can look at it after 3-4 days after I bring it in, so that's where i'm leaning at this point.

mrbill812

Seaman Apprentice

Well the verdict is in. Thanks to all of you that post I recognized a growling gimbal bearing and took it in to the shop before total failure. The shop called today and said that the gimbal bearing and u-joints are toast. Water had gotten into the bellows somehow (I'm having those replaced also) and everything was a rusty mess. Since the u-joints are non-servicable? the part is around 470ish plus the gimbal, and bellows with the labor between total repair costs $800-$900.

That's not the part that upset me. Since I just purchased the boat from a local surgeon through a 3rd party, I paid a fair price for a boat that I was led to believe had low hours on the engine (97) and properly maintained. the shop mechanic guessed the lower unit hadn't been removed in 4 or 5 years..... not properly maintained! so it is always "Buyer Beware" Integrity is obviously in question here as the boat was taken out by the owner and his son for 1 last time prior to the sale, and there is no way they didn't hear the growling bearing. And the right thing to do would have been to tell me so I could have had repairs done prior to the sale and final purchase price. Lesson 1, don't trust anyone (sad but true) lesson 2. before ever purchasing a used boat in the future no matter the hours or "maintenance" have the shop drop the lower unit and inspect. The $75 dollar investment would have paid off immediatly. The good part is now I have a trustworthy boat once I replace the water impellor! I'll be it's original!

mrbill

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That is why most here recommend a mechanical survey. Should be done. Simple things like checking gear lube, pulling outdrive and inspecting, checking engine compression, and running on muffs and listening to the engine. 1 or 2 hours of labor can save you an awful lot of expense when you get your boat home.
One thing I have learned, is that sellers know nothing about boats, and lie about what they think they know.

Spend some time up in the adults only sticky at the top of this forum. You will have a lot better understanding of your engine and drive after doing some reading.

mrbill812

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don, I kept my 17ft regal bowrider running for 11 years following good advice and learning how to maintain the alpha one drive with a 3 litre engine. This is a new animal for me and I have no experience with the Volva penta drives. I'll be looking for advice in the near future.
mrbill