1997 volvo penta 5.7 gli no spark at coil

Big hiss

Cadet
Good evening, i hope i can get some help before this ruins my 4th of july boating weekend.

I hydrolocked my engine (sunday), got the water and milky oil out (monday), new manifolds and risers installed (tuesday). I put everything back together and the boat will not start. I did a spark test on my pickup truck(to make sure tester worked) all good, put it on spark plug, nothing, same goes for the coil. the tach does move, fuel is pumping into the carb, engines turns over and sound well (compression checked out good as well)...now where do i go from here, i tried to search the internet and i am clueless.

i do not have the complete model number with me (working) but i will add in the morning.

any help will be great, the wife will be Pi**ed off if i dont get it in the water for the weekend.

Thanks,

Jim:confused:

johnmorgan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1997 volvo penta 5.7 gli no spark at coil

maybe you knocked a wire off somewhere. check your fuses as well. something simply like water in the cap could screw things up.

Big hiss

Cadet

Check the fuses on the fuse panel, or the ones on the engine? I forgot to add that it has a new distributor cap, rotor button, and plugs. Hopefully not a wire there are 4900 of those.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

With the ignition key in the run position, do you have battery voltage on the purple wire going to the coil?
What is the full model number or serial number of your engine. Year doesn't mean much in boat engines.

Big hiss

Cadet

Yes I do have voltage going to the purple wire, (test light) The number I got is 5.7gliplkdce. I hope that is what you are looking for

Big hiss

Cadet

Yes I have current going to the purple wire. (test light)

Big hiss

Cadet

Ok will do, is the plug for the relays the one on the starboard manifold? Thank you for the help thus far!

Big hiss

Cadet

Got the engine running! Did the 1st run with new oil on muffs, ran about 13 minutes. Hydrolocked again!! So now I have the heads off, head gaskets look ok, but the heads are going to the machine shop to get tested. Any other ideas for what to look at?

And btw when I took the starboard head off, water in all 4 cylinders, none on the port side.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would be looking at the gasket surfaces between the exhaust riser and the manifold. Probably corroded to the point they no longer seal.

Big hiss

Cadet

I will check that, but they are new? I took the heads off to get checked out as well, they are going to the machine shop today. Thanks for your help so far Don.