2002 volvo penta sx pivot housing question

Gregschick

Cadet
I recently bought a 2002 stingray 240 has a volvo penta sx outdrive , I noticed over the weekend every 20 min while sitting in the water the bilge pump would run so when i got back I checked to see if there was a crack in the bellows. What i found was a hole in the pivot housing about an inch in from where the lower bellow attaches. it lookes like the metel is thinned in this area and the hole is kinda ovel shaped is there a plug that goes there or is this a hole from it freezing. Or is this hole there for a reason, maybe i sould look closer at the bellows or clamp? The hole freeked me out.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2002 volvo penta sx pivot housing question

Post a picture of your hole in question.

Gregschick

Cadet

I found a pic on the internet that shows inside of exhaust port on pivot housing where my hole is where it has this funny bump on it so I now know I will have to replace the part. but Im wondering why is this bump there is this part made to fail for a reason?

Gregschick

Cadet

kinda figures 600 $$$ part instead of 80 for bellows plus im mechanical but this is going to be a big job

Don S

I found a pic on the internet that shows inside of exhaust port on pivot housing where my hole is where it has this funny bump on it so I now know I will have to replace the part. but Im wondering why is this bump there is this part made to fail for a reason?

Still have no idea what you are babbling about, but you do seem to have a good conspiracy theory going.

No doubt this thing was designed just to cause you mental and financial hardship, because it sure isn't a problem for most of the population.

Gregschick

Cadet

140.jpg
That raised bump in the exhaust port is what I am babbling about that is where the hole is

Gregschick

Cadet

And my question was what is the purpose of that raised area and and metal is much thinner there as well is it meant to fail for a reason like a freeze plug would be in a water jacket but for some other reason.

Don S

See, you don't even know what you have. That is an SX-A bellhousing, not an SX. They first hit the market in 2007.
What that bump is or why it's there, I have no clue.
But at least we now know what you are talking about.

Gregschick

Cadet

you know as I said this is a random pic i found on the internet (not mine) but where that bump is where the hole is now in mine. I do have a 2002 SX - ? , and why do you go on here so much when you are so rude I wanted some help so far you are not helping at all

Gregschick

Cadet

And I am also don't understand how water would get into the bilge since the exhaust is sealed right ? and then goes straight up well above the water level and there is no water in engine. and is this having been a problem, is this going to be a problem for the y pipe as well?

Don S

No problem. I won't bother you any more.