3.0 litre GL Volvo penta Overheating on idle

simon081065

Recruit
A wonder if anyone has any ideas or has had a similar problem Ive looked everywhere on the net and cant find much

Its a petrol volvo penta 3 litre GL 2005

Already had a new thermostat, checked the impeller and blown air back through the system to check for blockage.

What happens is, every time I put her in the water she overheats straight away, then if you rev the engine she seems to manage to draw water into the system and is fine, she will idle on normal and also run at high revs without overheating however once you stop the engine it it does the same thing again on restart!

She is with the engineers at the moment but it seems to have them a bit flumuxed!

Any ideas, greatly appreciated?

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3.0 litre GL Volvo penta Overheating on idle

Welcome aboard Simon!! I have moved this over to the Volvo I/O section. We try and keep the Boat section free of engine topics. You'll get the help you need over here.

I would say that checking the impeller probably should have been a replace. If it is 6 years old, then for sure. Do you know when it was last changed? Could look OK and still not pump well at low RPM, especially if the vanes have gone hard.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When you "Checked" the impeller, did all the vanes straighten out in a few minutes? If not, there is your problem.
What's the full model number of your engine? Or the serial number.

simon081065

Recruit

Hi QC
Thanks for the welcome! and sorry for posting in the wrong section! The impeller was changed when she was serviced a couple of months ago and the vanes weren't hard

simon081065

Recruit

Yes the vanes did straighten out.
Full model No: is 3.0 GL WPS(135) The serial is 4012130419 she also has an SX drive
Thanks
Simon

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your model number is actually 3.0GLP-C, not sure what the WPS is from.

Do you boat in salt water? If you do, have you pulled the exhaust riser off to see if the water passages are plugged up?

simon081065

Recruit

Yes she is mostly salt water will have a look at the exhaust riser and check. Thanks

simon081065

Recruit

Well I checked the whole system which was fine, the next stage was to put a new pump in. Before doing this decided to try an original volvo impeller just in case. Gave local volvo dealer the engine number, they sent an impeller just before installing mechanic spotted a sticker with a picture of my pump saying don't install! Turns ourt the 3.0 GLP-C had several types of pump and there are a choice of 2 impellers!! The impellers look the same but there is a subtle difference that causes this overheating problem.
Thanks for all the advice!