Volvo 275 prop raises in reverse

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After 4 years I finally got this boat in the water. I am still a real rookie when it comes to boating, but we all had a great time. Runs great until I put it in reverse. I have read all of the posts and call me dumb. But how does this system actually work? Seeing as how I got this boat used and looking at all of the diagrams, it is possible someone put this back together wrong. Looking at all of the diagrams. the shift cable is on the left. Mine is on the right. The shifting rod is on the right and mine is on the left. The coupling rod is on the correct side. Isn't the coupling rod supposed to push against the lock brace when in reverse? If so mine is backwards, then I will have to change the connections at the throttle. I tried to add a picture of parts breakdown from the Volvo store, but I can't figure out how to do it. Please help.
Thanks,
Dave

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo 275 prop raises in reverse

the infamous reverse kick up.....my 280 did the same thing.....after adjusting the reverse latch and the coupling rod, it works perfectly now.

Search the forum and you will find tons of info.
Using the manual to properly adjust everything is critical.

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The way mine is hooked up, the coupling rod moves away from the lock brace in reverse.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

is your shift cable hooked up properly?
It should pull inward for reverse, push out for forward.

captmello

Captain

I'm wondering why it would be hooked up wrong to begin with?

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

shift is inward for forward and outward for reverse. Shift cable is hooked up on the right side and not the left like it should be. It looks like the upper unit was repaired or replaced.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

there is your problem.....
i believe you can have the shift cable on either side, depending on prop rotation direction...but, i'm not too sure of that.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Page 129 of the manual is very specific about how the cable and linkage is hooked up for right or left hand props. Follow the directions and diagrams and it'll steer you in the right direction. Sounds like someone slapped it back together and didn't test it.

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Okay. I have changed everything around to be hooked up correctly. My problem is now I have to pull back on the throttle to go forward and push forward to go back. Is it difficult to reconfigure the throttle linkage?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Attach a picture of the drive linkage and also one of the prop. Need to determine if you have a right or left hand prop and how the linkage is set up.

The outdrive can be configured for either. You should be able to move the shift rod to the opposite side to change the direction of prop rotation.

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Prop and transom are set up and working properly. It is the shifter at the helm that I need to change.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Post a pic of your linkage at the drive. That would help everyone see what's going on.

joleda

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would if I could get the uploading of pics to work

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

In case you don't have a manual, you can find one here: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2360521#post2360521
Use the one for the 270. There are detailed instructions for adjusting and also a good drawing of the correct linkage arrangement and how to change the direction of propeller rotation. Compare yours to the drawing. You'll see that the shift cable comes through on the right and is held in place by the locking plate. The shift rod is on the right for a left hand rotation prop and on the left for a right hand rotation prop. You can change the side to change forward and reverse for your prop.

Verify these connections before you start to mess with your shifter. To be honest, I'm not sure how that could be hooked up backwards.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Acording to your description someone changed it at the shift handle.