1998 volvo penta 3.0 gs timing issue

channybrosko

Cadet
i have a 3.0 volvo penta gspbycce i sent the head off due to water in the cyclinders which rusted all the valves so the head is basiclly new and i had a machine shop do it i alsp replaced the exhaust manifold and elbow when i put it back together and tried to start it, it seemed to be a wrong firing order but i switched it numerous ways 1234 1324 when it ignites it seems to lock up or build pressure causing to strip the gears on the starter this is going to be my thrid starter i never removed the distributor i looked to see if the cyclinders were filled with fuel but no i really dont know what to think bad timing maybe if anyone could help pleaseeeeee

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1998 volvo penta 3.0 gs timing issue

If you don't know what the firing order is, how could you possibly have adjusted the valves? You obviously don't have a manual, is the head installed properly? Do you know how to find #1 TDC on the compression stroke?

Here are links to the manuals and other information you are going to need.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2360521#post2360521

channybrosko

Cadet

ive looked at firing orders on here the head was properly installed with the right sequence and 3 step tightening 35 65 90 and yes i do know how to find it it put it on tdc when i took it apart what i did was loosen the valves thinking i had a problem with them but i loosened them up and had the same result

channybrosko

Cadet

ok Ive redone the valves according to the corresponding manual i needed but doing so it says
" Turn adjusting nut until all lash is removed from valve
train. This can be determined by checking push rod side play by
hand while turning nut slowly. At this point, turn adjusting nut
one more turn to place the lifter plunger in center of its travel." when it says one more turn is that a full 360 degree turn and is it in the same direction loosening? thats what i did loosen it i figured its better to have it loose then tight but when i crank it over it still feels like the conbustion locks it up just like before with the same sound thats been destroying the gear inside my starter i have no idea what it can be unless the firing order is worng but im using the manual can anybody help please its too hot in florida!!

Colliemcc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will the starter turn it over ok with the leads disconnected but the plugs installed.

channybrosko

Cadet

by leads do you mean plug wires if so yes spins over fine

channybrosko

Cadet

im thinking the exhaust valves are not opening up any ideas guys?

Colliemcc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pull #1 one spark plug. turn engine over till the compression pushes your finger out of the hole. Bug should be pointing at that plug wire. timing mark should be near tdc. follow wires around make sure they are all in the correct places. this will give you a good idea if the timing is correct and if the leads are in the correct order.

fcawth

Seaman Apprentice

You want to tighten 3/4 to 1 turn from zero lash. If you are loosening from zero lash then the valves won't open all the way. There are hydrolic lifters that need to be compressed down.