Winterize I/O Volvo Penta 225E Engine

dragonsting

Recruit
How do I winterize my volvo penta engine while it's still being used in the winter to go fishing? I will store the boat in my yard and take it to the water when needs to use it in the winter. What is the best/safest way to quickly winterize it? :confused: <br /><br />Thx...

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winterize I/O Volvo Penta 225E Engine

You'll have to drain all the water out of it everytime you take it out. Remember to drain the power steering cooler if it has one.

dragonsting

Recruit

I'm not familiar with my engine at all, I just purchased this used boat couple months ago. I'm feeling stupid with this question, but how many places do I have to drain out the water and its location, name etc..? How do I know if I have a power steering cooler or not, I don't think I have one but I could be wrong.<br /><br />Thanks..

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Get a manual and do it right, or take it to a pro. Otherwise you will cost yourself plenty!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you are not familiar with the boat, you might want to scheduale a visit with your local Volvo dealer and have him show you how to do it. Take notes then pay the man. You will then know how to do the job yourself. Plus you need to get a manual and study it so you know Why things were done, not just that they were.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thought I'd junp in this thread rater than start another since I've got a similar issue.<br /><br />I live in NC and have an open boathouse with a lift ('89 4.3L Cobra). I also like to take my boat out occasionally in the winter. I make sure to drain all of the water each time I'm done (not that big a deal, but did learn the hard way that it's important to ream out the drain holes with wire while draining!).<br /><br />I haven't been fogging the engine, but make sure to run it at least every 3 or 4 weeks. Am I taking a big risk with doing this?<br /><br />Other question is about oil. OMC recommends straight 30w but this seems like it might be a problem in colder weather. I've been thinking about using something like a 10w-40 synthetic mix all year round. Seems like the boat would definitely benefit from this in cold weather and that by using 10-40 instead of say 10-30, in the summer I might be adding a bit more 'protection' at the heavier end if I go with the multi weight.<br /><br />Thoughts please?

tommays

Admiral

15-40 is the multi that merc sells<br /><br />tommays