Volvo Penta 280 Shifting Problem

sdfishermanRN

Recruit
Forgive me as I am completely new to IO's and until now only have owned boats with outboards. Recently bought a 1979 Bayliner 21 ft center console. It has a chevy 350 with a Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive. Had it out on the water today for a shakedown cruise and to practice putting it on and off of the trailer and first thing I notice is that under load the outdrive does not always engage in reverse. When I bought it and checked it at idle on the trailer it does, and still does. When I remove the cover plate for the linkage on the outdrive it appears that it is fully engaged in forward and reverse gears...Anyone have advice as to the nature of the problem and what I might expect to pay to get it fixed?

ButchC

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo Penta 280 Shifting Problem

Search for 'reverse locker' under search.

sdfishermanRN

Recruit

What I've found in the search for reverse locker seems to have more to do with the mechanism to lock the tilt of the outdrive in position so that it does not "kick up" when placed in reverse. This is not the problem that I am having. My outdrive fails to engage the reverse gear. Am I just not finding the right thread in my search?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The reverse lock is not your problem at all. Remove the back cover and make sure the cable is pushing the shift mechanism fully into reverse. Many times old shift cables are worn out so they do not extend as far as they should.

crmillhouse

Recruit

I am having the same problem with a boat I recently purchased. I knew it had not been winterized so expected to replace the engine along with many other parts from sitting. The new engine now runs great but it did not want to go into forward or reverse until the engine started revving up. I tried adjusting the cable but only achieved it going into forward as it should. Next I replaced the shift cable and adjusted it many times again achieving great forward operation but still no sign of reverse until the engine is revving up? Looking at the shift lever on the drive where the cable attaches, it is going into full motion in forward and reverse. I think my problem is in the drive but if you have not replaced the cable yet, I would start there since it's a $55 repair. Feel free to let me know if that repairs your issue or if you want any pointers on replacing the cable. Thanks