Volvo Penta 3.0 GS Over Heating

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwharp

Cadet
Water pump impeller has been changed 4 times in recent months along with related parts due to excessive overheating. Sherwood belt drive pump has adequate belt tension ... not slipping. Impellers that have been replaced look like they were dry started ... but they were not. Pump housing has not been changed. Shows no adverse wear. Any ideas why it is overheating and drying out the impellers???

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 3.0 GS Over Heating

If you lost some vanes off the first impeller, you may have the vanes plugging up the system. Is you engine raw water cooled or freshwater cooled (closed cooling system)

Truupe

Recruit

JW, <br /><br />You may also check the hose that runs into the top part of your Thermostat housing. Mine was clogged and the thermostat needed to be replaced. Once the engine runs hot there is a great chance the thermostat will stick or just go bad. Volvo, they say will do this along with a host of other things.

jwharp

Cadet

Don S<br /><br />Engine is raw water cooled ... cooled with fresh lake water. Thanks for your help ... got new thermostat and new water pump on order ... going to flush out the exit side to clear any vanes ... any thoughts on how to best do this?

Casmoboy2171

Cadet

jwharp,<br /><br />I just ahd the same problem with my GS. I found impeller parts in the small hose going into the thermostat housing. I would suggest removing the hose and use a water hose to flush it out. You might even use something like a coat hanger to make sure that there are no obstructions that the water hose could noe flush out.<br /><br />Mike<br /><br />Education is what you get when you read the fine print- Experience is what you get when you don't. :)

GramSandy

Cadet
Volvo Penta Over Heating

Volvo Penta Over Heating

We just had to replace the impeller after engine overheated. We put our 2005 18' Stingray 180RX in the water at a community boat ramp--water is too shallow and mud stirs up. We are thinking about getting a trolling motor to get us in and out of the ramp/dock area and then switching to the regular engine when we are out on the main part of the lake. Anyone know what size/kind of trolling engine we need for the 2005 18' Stingray 180RX? Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta Over Heating

Re: Volvo Penta Over Heating

You need to start your own thread in the proper forum. Do not just start up a completely different thread at the end of a 4 year old post.

Status
Not open for further replies.