Need some advice, please. 1996 Volvo Penta 5.0 not firing

jcbsr

Cadet
All other electrical sytems work on the boat (lights, pumps, trim, etc). However, all electrical items off of the engine will not work (fuel pumps) and it will not fire. I bypassed the safety lanyard and still not firing and no power to the fuel pumps. Have checked all fuses under the helm, connections under the helm and connections on the engine as well. Verified continuity of all 4 circuit breakers on the engine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Need some advice, please. 1996 Volvo Penta 5.0 not firing

perhaps it's your ignition switch, have you ohm'd it out?

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer

also, I know this is obvious but are you sure your throttle is in neutral?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Going to need a full model number or a serial number jcbsr, at this point we don't know what year your engine is, because engine year and boat year is not the same, nor do we know if it's a Ford or Chevy, carbed or fuel injected.

jcbsr

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. It actually will turn over so it's not the ignition switch nor the neutral safety switch. Also, it's a Ford 5.0 (302), with efi. I think the motor is a 94 but there were no significant changes from 94 to 95 in that motor. Any help from there is greatly appreciated! Also it has the "old" type efi so I know the motor isn't a 96. Hope that helps and thanks again for taking time to try to help.

jcbsr

Cadet

Don thanks for your help. My son had out a new battery in it. When he did he failed to hook up both positive cables. So it would turn over but evidently the other positive cable provided power to the "black box". Running perfect now. Thanks again.

nccorbett04

Recruit

have u found a solution for your problem? spent 2 summers with an off and on issue ..factory wire that was crimped wrong.maybe a strech for u .simply seen the post. let me know