1995 Volvo I/O tilt/ trim dp c1/d1 tilt pins

romroc

Cadet
Anyone out there remove the tilt pins without removing the entire engine? I'm getting conflicting reports from mechs, both rams are confirmed leaking. Does anyone know if rebuild kits are still available? Those rams are hideously expensive.:cool:

If you have photos, that would help. I was thinking that if I could remove those pins, the mech could take over. I also think the universal is bad as the steering at extreme angles left/right produces vibrations. Otherwise everthing is pretty cool. Engine only has slightly over 300 hours, runs strong. Prop does have a few bends.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 Volvo I/O tilt/ trim dp c1/d1 tilt pins

Volvo makes a special tool for removing those pins. If you are in salt water, for me it's about 1 in 5 will come out using the tool. I usually end up pulling the engine and transom shield and using heat and a slide hammer to get them out.
Here is the procedure shown in the manual.

Attachments

• Trim Cyl Removal.pdf
    117.2 KB · Views: 1

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, you can get an aftermarket rebuild kit for those rams. If you were to do an internet search with the part number for the rams and include "rebuild kit," you should find them. If not, PM me and I can give you the information.

romroc

Cadet

Thanks to all. I copied those pages on tilt pin removal. I'm going to attempt a rebuild on the boat, w/o ram removal. Sticky, as it's also on a boat lift, outdrive over water. Is a kit worth the $85.00 when it appears to be a bunch of mainly just orings? Still, MUCH cheaper than new rams!!! [and OMG LABOR!!!!]

romroc

Cadet

I need to know where I can buy the face spanner to take the dpds rams apart on the boat. I'm in fresh water so I may get lucky. Min is a '95 w/ 350 block.