'98 Volvo Penta 5.0GL starter removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

FGantIV

Recruit
My '98 Four Winns 200 Horizon has a 5.0GL Volvo Penta engine. The starter has gone out on it (with a fully charged batter I get a very rapid clicking noise when trying to start, the same sound I got on my car when its starter went bad a few years ago).

My mechanic (auto mechanic) and I tried to remove the starter but one bolt is being extremely stubborn. The rearmost of the two bolts holding it to the engine to be exact. The bolt is so close to a rear bracket, or whatever that really thick plate on the rear of the engine is, that we can't get a socket around the bolt.

We've tried open box wrenches, line wrenches, crow's feet, channel locks and vice grips, nothing is budging this stubborn bolt. Is there some trick that we're unaware of?

I've only had the boat since last September and she's only been out on the water twice (the second time she didn't make it away from the ramp because of the starter, we spent 5 hours moored to the dock trying to get the engine to start).

If anybody could help that would be amazing. I tried searching the forum before posting but couldn't find this problem there so I'm sorry if I missed an old post about it :(.

Thanks for anyone and everyone who responds or takes the time to try and help!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: '98 Volvo Penta 5.0GL starter removal

Your problem actually sounds more like a loose or corroded connection. If the cable ends of your battery cables are solidly crimpted and not corroded, and the cables are attached to the battery are tight (NOT just wing nut, thumb and finger tight) and not corroded, and your battery passes a load test, and the start relay isn't corroded, then I might thing it's the starter.

Many times removing the exhaust manifold will give you just enough room to remove the starter. Sometimes (due to poor boat design) you have to remove the engine to get the starter off.

FGantIV

Recruit

Ugh. Thanks for the reply Don. We checked the connections both for corrosion and tightness. The cables are all nice and clean and were very firmly attached. We removed the upper portion of the manifold and that gives us enough room to reach the starter.

The problem we're having is that there physically isn't enough room between that bolt and whatever bracket that is back there to fit a socket to the bolt head. I can barely slide a fingernail between them, much less the 1/8" or so that it would take to fit a socket. I was hoping there was some trick to it that we were unaware of or something like that.

Oh, and we did have another boater try and jump us off thinking that the battery could be low but that produced the same rapid clicking noise from the starter.

Barring any tricks of the trade, does anyone know if we can safely remove that bracket (although it may not even be a bracket, we can't really *see* it)? It does feel like there are two small, maybe 8mm, bolts just to the inside of the bracket from the starter but I don't want to start taking all kinds of stuff apart without knowing what I'm getting in to.

Don S

It's not a bracket, it's actually the flywheel cover shield that sticks out there. you might be able to get a screw driver between the nut and the cover and bend it in a bit. to get a 9/16 socket on the bolt.
Do get new bolts for the starter. The heads are 1/2" on the newer bolts with plenty of clearance for a socket.

FGantIV

Recruit

Oh good to know about the newer bolts. And I'll definitely try bending the flywheel cover a bit with a screwdriver. Can I pick up the bolts at an auto parts store or possibly a hardware store or will I have to order them?

FGantIV

Recruit

Well, we tried bending that out of the way but this thing's about 4" thick at the bottom and opens up to about 8" thick and appears to be similar to a transaxle on a 4x4 truck. I have no idea what it would be called on a boat but it's what leads directly to the foot and then the rear drive unit. I'm at a loss at this point. If I took this to a boat mechanic would they more than likely yank the engine?? And why on earth did Volvo's engineer design this thing to be so blasted close??????? Seems completely illogical to me unless the logic is to force owners to take everything to a "professional"...

Don S

Well, we tried bending that out of the way but this thing's about 4" thick at the bottom and opens up to about 8" thick and appears to be similar to a transaxle on a 4x4 truck.

Have no clue. Can you stick a digital camera down there and post a couple of pics?

security6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+1 on the new bolts for the starter, and not just because the heads are smaller.

If the setup is similar to my '99 5.7GS (sounds like it is), then you need a "thin-wall" socket. As the name suggests, this is a socket with extra-thin walls for tight places.

When my starter went I wasn't able to get my regular socket on at first, but I found that the socket went on with a little help from my hammer. Of course, it wasn't easy to contort myself down in there and swing the hammer. It helps if you're somewhat skinny.

shuswap119

Seaman

Were you been able to remove the bolt? I have the same problem and could use a tip.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.