starter bolt length?

KMDisland

Seaman Apprentice
1999 3.0 GS PWTR. Both my starter bolts sheared off and were laying in the bilge. I read all the info on the starter issue and plan on fabricating the bracket for the back of the starter. I want to verify what length both starter bolts are suppose to be as I think one of mine is too long. Does anybody know the correct length of the bolts? I will also use grade 8. I am thinking of changing the bolts every other year just as a precaution, it was a real pain with angle drills, torch , easy outs getting the bolts out.

Thanks KMDisland

KMDisland

Seaman Apprentice
Re: starter bolt length?

Don,

Apparently my starter is not the original OEM starter for the boat. Both bolts measure 4.375" (not counting hex head). The starter itself has 2 long bolts vs the picture you provided shows one short bolt and one long bolt. I have attached 3 pictures of the current start on the boat now. I can't seem to find any model/serial numbers on the starter that I have.

My plan was to buy 2 starter bolts from a NAPA dealer (made specially for starters only) and then custom fabricate a bracket from the starter to the block. I have a welder. Do you think this will work? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
KMDIsland

Attachments

• starter 3.jpg
    starter 3.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0
  • starter 2.jpg
    starter 2.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0
  • starter 1.jpg
    starter 1.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 0

Colliemcc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: starter bolt length?

look in behind the soli for the name. it looks like a unipoint starter. what type of bracket will be making. will u post some pic i would like to do sumthing the same